NewsRegional Grenada environment minister dismissed by: – January 21, 2012 Share Tweet Share 21 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Joseph GilbertST GEORGE’S, Grenada — Grenada’s Prime Minister Tillman Thomas, whose National Democratic Congress won 11 of 15 seats in the last general election, has fired a second minister in fewer than four years in office.Informed sources said Joseph Gilbert, MP for St Patrick West, was told of his dismissal in a telephone call from the prime minister on Thursday morning. Gilbert, who was appointed Minister for the Environment, Foreign Trade and Export Development last October, was awaiting confirmation of his dismissal in an official letter from Governor General Sir Carlyle Glean.In 2010, Thomas dismissed his former Environment Minister Michael Church, MP for St John. Church subsequently resigned from cabinet after being offered a junior minister’s position by the prime minister.The wheels were put in motion for Gilbert’s dismissal when Thomas, who is also MP for St Patrick East, summoned an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday morning.A report out of St George’s quoted “an informed source close to the Office of the Prime Minister” as saying that Thomas told his cabinet colleagues that he had advised the governor general to revoke the appointment of Gilbert as a minister of government.But a Wednesday evening written statement issued by the prime minister’s press secretary, Richard Simon, seemed to dismiss the idea that Thomas had actually fired Gilbert earlier in the day.The statement said the Grenadian leader had “certain troubling information before him pertaining to what appears to be a serious breach of cabinet principles” involving Gilbert.“The prime minister anticipates that he would come to a decision on this matter very shortly, whereupon he will duly inform his cabinet and the general public,” the statement said.Thomas, in a brief nationally televised address on Thursday evening, confirmed the sacking of Gilbert. The prime ministers said he had “irrefutable, documented evidence” of misconduct on Gilbert’s part.He revealed that in August 2011, while serving as Minister of Works, Public Utilities and Physical Development, Gilbert wrote a letter giving certain assurances to a foreign company that was interested in establishing a casino in Grenada.Thomas said Gilbert did not seek cabinet’s approval in writing the letter, and accused the former minister of “irresponsible” behaviour.The Grenadian leader promised to continue combating wrongdoing, adding that what was at stake was not the survival of his government but the preservation of “core values” relating to good governance.However, the letter written by Gilbert and his firing are now being hotly debated by Grenadians, including legal experts. One veteran St George’s attorney, who read the so-called letter, said he was “bemused” at the fuss that was being made. “The letter has no binding effect, no legal consequences, on the government,” he said. “In my view, it is simply trying to keep the developer interested in Grenada and not bolting from the country at a time when jobs are so badly needed.”When contacted, Gilbert declined to comment on the specifics of the issue, only saying that “I did no wrong; I breached nothing; I committed the government to nothing. I did my utmost as a minister, first in the Ministry of Works, and then in the Ministry of Environment. A priority for me is meeting the needs of the Grenadian people, and they have told me that one of their most urgent needs is jobs.”Casino gambling, and possibly issuing a gaming licence, has been an ongoing debate in cabinet, and the matter is said to be still under review. Although Thomas has repeatedly stated his opposition to casino, cabinet has never taken a position on the matter.On call-in radio talkshows and among internet bloggers, people have been commenting on the latest developments. Many have expressed surprise at the prime minister’s response to Gilbert, comparing Thomas’ inaction to the move last year by Ministry of Finance officials who – without the knowledge and approval of cabinet – engaged representatives of Sewang One World in trying to get investment and development projects for Grenada.As part of the Sewang discussions, the prime minister signed a memorandum of understanding that Finance Minister Nazim Burke later admitted should not have been signed by the Grenadian leader. Caribbean News Now
Following an exciting online qualification phase involving over 190 teams, the groups for the FIFA eClub World Cup 2020 have been set following the Draw, which took place on Tuesday at the Home of FIFA in Zurich, Switzerland. FIFA President Gianni Infantino Twenty-four of the world’s best teams, consisting of an elite group of competitive FIFA players, will battle it out in a unique 1v1 and 2v2 format in Milan, Italy from7-9 February. After a round-robin group stage, teams will compete in the knockout phase to find out who will be crowned the official club team world champions of competitive FIFA.Advertisement Loading… Promoted ContentWhat Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemSuperhero Castings That People Hated But Were Amazing7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes6 Great Ancient Mysteries That Make China Worth Visiting8 Best 1980s High Tech Gadgets15 Extremely Surprising Facts About Disney PrincessesCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?This Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical As part of FIFA’s initiative to involve clubs and organisations in order to further improve its competitions, Tuesday’s draw took place during a dedicated workshop involving participating clubs at the Home of FIFA. Read Also:2022 FIFA World Cup Qatar: Underrate CAR, Liberia, Cape Verde at your peril, Esin warns Nigeria A total of 100,000 USD and essential Global Series points on the Road to the FIFA eWorld Cup™ 2020 will be distributed amongst the 24 participating teams. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
Associated Press Cricket West Indies says Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer and Keemo Paul “all declined the invitation” to join the squad and “will not hold this decision against these players when considering future selection.”West Indies players must travel a month before the first test in Southampton starting July 8 in order to quarantine and begin training.The other tests will be played in Manchester starting July 16 and July 24.___The chief executive of the European Tour says the fate of this year’s Ryder Cup will be decided by the end of the month. June 3, 2020 More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The Latest: 3 West Indies players decline travel to England Keith Pelley says in an extensive interview with the McKellar Journal podcast that the European Tour and the PGA will have “conversations” about the Ryder Cup now that the revamped schedules of both tours have been announced.Pelley says there will be “a direction at the end of the month.”The Ryder Cup is still on schedule for Sept. 25-27 at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin despite massive disruption to the sports schedule because of the coronavirus outbreak.It could be held without fans but golfers like Rory McIlroy and Brooks Koepka are among those saying they are against that idea.___ Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The West Indies says three cricket players have turned down the chance to travel to England for the postponed three-test series that will be played in bio-secure environments amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Some tough results in December, including defeats to Baldwinsville and Liverpool, had left the West Genesee girls basketball team in need of some quality wins.And the Wildcats got them in the More Than A Game Tournament, starting Dec. 27 at SRC Arena with a 59-46 victory over Section V’s Fairport.The game was close until the Wildcats outscored the Red Raiders 17-7 in the fourth quarter. Meredith James earned 12 of her career-high 20 points at the free-throw line as Catie Cunningham had 15 points, with Molly Coyne getting seven points and Ellen Kearney six points.Far more important, in the long-term, was WG’s 53-40 victory over Rome Free Academy in the Dec. 28 final, since it matched up two area Class AA sides.A low-scoring first half saw the Wildcats gradually overcome the Black Knights’ early 14-8 lead. Then WG decided matters by dominating on both ends in the third quarter, stunning RFA with a 20-4 push.Cunningham led this time, pouring in 20 points as Molly Benetti stepped up with 13 points. Julia Logana added eight points as Tailyn Frost paced RFA with 14 points.Skaneateles played in the Chittenango Holiday Tournament and, after falling 66-51 to the host Bears in the opening round, recovered to beat Auburn 45-35 in the consolation game.Maddy Ramsgard (13 points), Kate Aberi (10 points), Tatumn Pas’cal (nine points), Lexi Cotttrill (eight points) and Maeve Canty (seven points) all scored well against Chittenango, but no one broke out the way Sarah Lanphear did for the Bears as she earned a game-high 18 points.Defense was the story against Auburn, with the Lakers limiting the Maroons to four points in the fourth quarter to gradually draw clear. Canty, with 18 points, and Ramsgard, with 12 points, accounted for most of the Skaneateles attack as Cottrill added eight points.Bishop Ludden was 5-1 and no. 13 in the state Class A rankings when it took on Class AA no. 15-ranked St. Mary’s, from the Buffalo area, last Saturday afternoon.The Gaelic Knights lost, 61-56, to the Lancers, who broke out of a 22-22 halftime tie by outscoring Ludden 23-16 in the third quarter. In defeat, Amarah Streiff had 21 points, with Lauren Petrie adding 17 points.That same day, Jordan-Elbridge was back on the court, seeking its first win of the season against Canastota, but took a 51-44 defeat to the Raiders.The Eagles led 34-32 going to the fourth quarter, only to have Canastota go in front, carried by Jessica Evans, who poured in 30 points, more than half her team’s outputNo one on J-E got close to Evans’ totals, though Kaley Jackson did have 13 points, with Mollie Yard adding 12 points as Gabby Smart finished with eight points.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story Tags: Bishop Luddengirls basketballJ-EskaneatelesWest Genesee
NEW YORK — So expressionless and serious-minded all night, Venus Williams waited to crack a smile until her victory was complete.That’s when Williams simply could not help but grin — as she walked to the net for a handshake, as she waved to the crowd, as she spoke about reaching her first U.S. Open semifinal since 2002.And, certainly, as she thought about getting a crack at the player who eliminated her sister.Way down Wednesday night, Williams turned her game on when she needed to and was stronger down the stretch, beating No. 3-seeded Jelena Jankovic 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (4) in the U.S. Open quarterfinals.Next up is a semifinal against No. 1 Justine Henin. Know this: Venus Williams watched Henin beat Serena Williams on Tuesday and wants to right the wrong.“I wasn’t happy with that result at all. I was sad that she lost. I didn’t like to see her so upset,” Venus said. “I definitely have to try to win for Williams.”The other semifinal has 2004 Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova against No. 6 Anna Chakvetadze in a matchup between Russians.Against Jankovic, the older Williams took a while to find the mark, falling behind by a set and a break. But by the end she was playing as well as she did en route to winning Wimbledon in July for her sixth Grand Slam title.Jankovic made four bad mistakes to allow Williams to take control in the decisive tiebreaker.“We had some long points, and I was the one making the errors. I maybe was a little bit excited,” Jankovic said. “I thought that it will go in, but it didn’t.”The 12th-seeded Williams ended it with a swinging forehand volley, an appropriate conclusion given that she made 55 trips to the net, winning 39 of those points. Jankovic was far less aggressive, pushing forward only six times.Williams dictated play in general, finishing with a whopping 60-17 edge in winners, and after the last one, her face muscles finally relaxed with joy.“I like to laugh after the match, especially if I won,” she said. “I try to stay focused, in the zone.”Speaking to the spectators afterward, Jankovic said: “First of all, I want to say, ‘Well done,’ to Venus. She deserved to win. She was better at the end.”That was quite a different take on things from a disappointed loser than Serena Williams offered after her straight-set setback against Henin, including a reference to the Belgian’s “lucky shots.”Now take that in, and consider Jankovic’s explanation for why she applauded a couple of Venus Williams’ top efforts and smiled in appreciation when she glanced at the speed readout and saw a 121 mph serve.“When she hits a great shot, why not? You can say, ‘Well done.’ Nothing wrong with that,” said Jankovic, who beat the older Williams at Wimbledon last year and at the French Open this year. “I cannot do anything when she hits an unbelievable serve. I cannot return it. So why not give her credit?”Jankovic enjoyed nearly every moment out there, smiling while waiting to receive serves and laughing even when she shanked a ball off her ankle or, later, when she slipped to the ground and did a full splits on a key third-set point.She broke in the very first game, capping it with a perfectly placed lob. That was the first of four lob winners that Jankovic curled like a rainbow over the 6-foot-1 Williams, including one so good it drew applause from the American’s mom.Jankovic broke again for a 4-1 edge by smacking a return winner off a 100 mph serve. Then, serving for the opening set at 5-4, Jankovic fell behind love-30 and easily could have folded, much as she did when she blew a huge lead against Henin in last year’s Open semifinals.But this time, she hung tough, taking four points in a row — including ending one 19-stroke exchange with a backhand winner — to grab the set. That drew loud chants of “Yell-eh-na!” from Serb supporters standing at the top of the upper deck.The second set started with more of the same. Williams hit two double-faults — she wound up with eight — and wildly missed a swinging volley to set up another break point. Jankovic converted it with — what else? — a lob, then held up a fist.And right there is where Williams flipped a switch, her game suddenly as bright as all of the flash bulbs popping around Arthur Ashe Stadium. She took seven of the next eight points, opening a six-game sweep through the end of the set.The third set featured some brilliant shotmaking by both women, exactly the sort of display tournament organizers envisioned when they moved this match off Tuesday’s schedule in hopes of adding some star power Wednesday.That sure worked, and the enthralled fans showed their appreciation with a standing ovation before the tiebreaker. They repeated the gesture when the match ended.“It went the distance,” Williams said. “It was awesome.”When they were done, it was time for the day’s most anticipated encounter: No. 1 Roger Federer against No. 5 Andy Roddick in a quarterfinal that was a rematch of last year’s final.In Wednesday’s earlier men’s quarterfinal, Nikolay Davydenko hardly appeared to be a man with a lot on his mind.He’s at the center of tennis’ betting probe, well aware that he’ll be sitting down with investigators in the coming weeks. He’s also on quite a run at the U.S. Open, well aware that he’ll be a big underdog against his next opponent.The No. 4-seeded Davydenko reached the semifinals at Flushing Meadows for the second consecutive year by beating No. 10 Tommy Haas 6-3, 6-3, 6-4, then again denied any involvement with gamblers and offered an explanation of what he thinks led to the red flags last month.“I don’t care what’s happening out there,” Davydenko said, referring to the investigation. “For me, it’s more important what I do right now here.”A British online gambling company voided all bets on Davydenko’s match against 87th-ranked Martin Vassallo Arguello in Poland in early August, after $7 million was wagered — 10 times the usual amount. Most of the money backed Arguello, even after Davydenko won the first set; the match went to a third set, and Davydenko quit with a foot injury.His theory: Someone had inside information that he’d been hurting, and thought, “Sell all your houses and everything, you know, to win some money.”The Russian said his manager and the ATP are working to schedule a meeting with investigators.Davydenko might be able to set that aside for the moment, but he won’t be able to get around this: He never has won a match against either possible semifinal foe, going 0-9 against Federer, 0-4 against Roddick.— Associated Press writers Howard Fendrich contributed to this report from Atlanta.