Storms hit; students take cover

first_imgStudents took cover in the lowest level of buildings for about an hour and a half Tuesday morning after the University issued a campus-wide alert notifying the community of a tornado threat. The University informed students via e-mail, phone calls, text messages and overhead announcements to take cover. The messages called the threat “imminent.” No tornado occurred, but winds reached more than 70 mph, the South Bend Tribune reported. University spokesman Dennis Brown said there was no damage on campus besides “a couple branches [down] here and there.” Brown said the branches did not hit any buildings and he was not aware of any trees that came down. The University sent out the first alert around 9:10 a.m. and asked everyone on campus to go to the lowest level of a building. A second message was sent out at 10:26 a.m. reporting that the warning had been extended. The University gave the “all clear” for students to return to normal activity at 10:46 a.m., Brown said. Brown said the “redundancy” of the alerts — through text messages, phone calls, e-mail, the University website and the public address system — was effective in getting the word out to students, faculty and staff. The public address system, which was activated last spring, was a “very effective tool” for making an emergency announcement, Brown said. “I think for the most part the combination of tools that we used to alert the campus worked well,” he said. “It was a disruption this morning, but I think most people were able to cope and go to the lowest level and wait it out.”last_img read more

Green Mountain Power announces 2005 earnings

first_imgCOLCHESTER, VT&Green Mountain Power Corporation (NYSE: GMP) today announced 2005 consolidated earnings from continuing operations of $2.09 per share of common stock, diluted, compared with 2004 consolidated earnings from continuing operations of $2.10 per share of common stock, diluted. The Company reported additional earnings of $0.03 and $0.10 per share from discontinued operations in 2005 and 2004, respectively.Increases in operating revenues in 2005 were offset by increases in power supply expenses, other operating expenses, maintenance expenses, depreciation and amortization, and transmission expenses, causing earnings from continuing operations to be essentially unchanged compared with 2004.Retail operating revenues for 2005 increased by $9.6 million compared with the same period in 2004, reflecting the 2005 effects of a 1.9 percent retail rate increase, warmer summer weather, an increase in the number of Company customers, and increased sales of utility services to other utilities and large industrial and commercial customers. These increases were partially offset by recognition in 2004 of $3 million in revenue deferred under our 2003 Rate Plan.Under the Companys 2003 Rate Plan, approved by the Public Service Board in December 2003, rates remained unchanged in 2004 and the Company put into effect retail rate increases of 1.9 percent (generating approximately $4 million in added annual revenues) in January 2005 and 0.9 percent (generating approximately $2 million in added annual revenues) in January 2006, upon the submission of supporting cost of service schedules. The last of these rate increases was implemented effective January 1, 2006. The 2003 Rate Plan also allowed the Company to carry unused deferred revenue totaling approximately $3 million to 2004 and to recognize this revenue to help to achieve its allowed rate of return during 2004.Total retail megawatt hour sales of electricity increased by 1.9 percent in 2005, compared with the same period in 2004. Sales to residential and small commercial and industrial customers increased by 3.0 percent and 2.7 percent, respectively, while sales to large commercial and industrial customers increased by 0.3 percent in 2005. Revenues from the sale of utility services to other utilities and large industrial and commercial customers increased by approximately $4.3 million in 2005, compared with the prior year. Wholesale revenues in 2005 also increased by $5.6 million compared with 2004, reflecting substantially higher wholesale energy prices in 2005.Other operating expenses increased by $5.5 million in 2005, reflecting an increase of $4.3 million in utility services expense. The Companys utility services business is designed to recover some of its administrative and staffing costs from other parties, ultimately reducing costs to customers and improving financial results between rate cases.Power supply expenses increased $6.0 million in 2005 compared with 2004 due to increased costs of market purchases to serve marginal load, increased purchases of power under the contract with Hydro-Quebec, an increase in the cost of power under the power supply contract with Morgan Stanley, and increased costs of transmission line losses and congestion charges allocated within the New England power pool by ISO New England, the regional system operator. Congestion charges represent the cost of delivering energy to customers and reflect energy prices, customer demand, and the availability of transmission and generation resources. The Company paid an average market price of approximately $95 per megawatt hour for system purchases during hours when customer demand exceeded supply during 2005, compared to $57 per megawatt hour in the same period last year, inclusive of the effects of congestion and line losses. Increased hydro production and deliveries under long-term power supply contracts with Hydro-Quebec and Vermont Yankee had a significant dampening effect on the increase in power supply expenses the Company experienced in 2005. The average cost of our power supply resources is substantially below current market prices, said Mr. Dutton. We are pleased that our customers have continued to enjoy significant benefits under our long-term power supply contracts. Unfortunately as these arrangements expire, they must be replaced with higher priced energy resources. We will feel that effect when our contract with Morgan Stanley expires at the end of 2006. The Company expects to file a retail rate case requesting a rate increase estimated at between ten and fifteen percent in 2006, effective for January 1, 2007.Maintenance expenses, depreciation and amortization, and transmission expenses also increased during 2005 compared with 2004. Maintenance expenses increased by $1.5 million, reflecting an increase in transmission and distribution line maintenance and maintenance of our gas turbines. Depreciation and amortization were $1.1 million higher than in the previous year, reflecting increased plant investments and a $539,000 increase in amortization of regulatory assets. Transmission expenses increased by $797,000 during 2005, compared with the prior year, as a result of an increase in charges allocated for system support in New England by ISO New England, increased retail sales of energy and an increase in investments by Vermont Electric Power Company (VELCO), the entity that owns and operates most of the transmission grid in Vermont. The Company owns approximately 30 percent of VELCO.Earnings on discontinued operations for 2005 and 2004 consisted primarily of changes in operating reserves or tax valuation allowances that are considered non-recurring.In other developments, the Companys most recent customer service survey indicated an overall satisfaction rate of 94 percent with contacts with the Company. There is nothing more fundamental to achieving success than providing superior customer service, said Mary Powell, Chief Operating Officer. We made efforts to improve service in a variety of ways this year, including increasing expenditures on line maintenance to shorten outages for customers when severe storms strike, increasing funding for our power partners program to help low-income customers, and expanded deployment of new automated meter reading equipment to reduce estimated readings. We look forward to further improvements in the coming year.Certain statements in this press release may be forward-looking in nature, or forward-looking statements as defined in the United States Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ from those expressed or implied in forward-looking statements. The forward-looking statement contained in this press release are subject to a number of factors and uncertainties, including regulatory and judicial decisions or legislation, changes in regional market and transmission rules, energy supply and demand and pricing, contractual commitments, availability, terms and use of capital, general economic and business environment, changes in technology, nuclear and environmental issues, industry restructuring and cost recovery (including stranded costs, and weather), and other factors and uncertainties disclosed from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.Any forward-looking statements in this press release should be evaluated in light of these important factors and uncertainties. The Company disclaims any obligation to update any information in this press release.– 30 — For further information, please contact Dorothy Schnure, Manager of Corporate Communications, at 802-655-8418 or Robert Griffin, Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, at 802-655-8452.last_img read more

Dismembered Woman’s Alleged Killer Arrested

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Authorities have identified a suspect accused of killing a 27-year-old woman whose partially dismembered body was found in Bay Shore two weeks ago.U.S. Marshalls arrested Leah Cuevas, who pleaded not guilty Thursday to second-degree murder when she was arraigned at First District Court in Central Islip.Cuevas, wearing a brown floral dress and a salmon sweater, didn’t speak.“She is charged with the worst conduct that humans can be capable of,” Judge G. Ann Spelman said when she ordered the 42-year-old suspect held at Suffolk County jail without bail.“Yes” whispered a woman sitting with the victim’s family as she raised both arms in the air.Suffolk County police said Cuevas killed Chinelle Latoya Thompson Browne, a Guyanese immigrant and mother of four who was reported missing July 5 from the Brooklyn apartment building where the suspect and victim both had lived.“No, Leah, what are you doing?” witnesses heard the victim yell from her apartment, Suffolk County Assistant District Attorney Robert Biancavilla told the court. She was also heard screaming: “Oh no, oh no, I’m sorry!”The confrontation leading up to the murder was about payment of rent and utility bills, he said. The victim was last seen entering her home with her bag of laundry. Her blood was found splattered in the apartment and in the hallway outside, he added.Two people found Browne’s torso in a vacant lot on the corner of Maple Avenue and Gibson Street while walking to the nearby Fire Island ferry terminal on the morning of July 8. Her severed legs were found nearby. The dump site is less than a mile from the suspect’s sister’s house.Prosecutors confirmed that a severed head and two severed arms found scattered in Hempstead were also Browne’s. The body parts were all found on separate days with a week after the Bay Shore discovery. Investigators identified the remains with her tattoos and DNA.Hempstead village, Nassau County and New York City police were also involved in the investigation but declined to comment.Cuevas’ court-appointed attorney, Mary Beth Abbate, argued that since the murder is alleged to have been committed in New York City, Suffolk has no jurisdiction in the case. Biancavilla argued that since Cuevas allegedly dumped the body in Bay Shore, that gave the county jurisdiction. Spellman ordered the court paperwork charging Cuevas be updated to clarify where the body was found.Browne’s family members wept as they exited the courtroom. Through teardrops, one woman said Browne was “was a wonderful person, the best person you would ever want to know.”Another woman shouted: “We want justice.”“She has to pay for the crime that she committed,” the woman added.Browne had four children, ranging from 3 to 7. They lived in Guyana with her husband, Dale.Speaking softly, Dale said he had last seen his wife in April, when she visited the family.“She made a sacrifice for her family,” he said. “She loved her family. She wanted her family with her and she did all that it took. That’s what’s important.”He was in his home country when his wife was brutally killed. The couple, who met in Guyana, would’ve celebrated their fifth anniversary on Aug. 29.A 27-year-old witness who lived on the second floor in the same apartment building as Browne told police Cuevas “has been pretending to be the landlord,” according to court documents. Browne rented the room for $400, and Cuevas would collect money “despite the fact that there is no hot water and the only electricity we have comes from one cord that comes from Leah’s first floor apartment,” the documents state.“We all got along without any problems until this past Friday, July 4th,” she said.The woman told investigators that Browne confronted Cuevas about the electricity when the power went out on Independence Day.“Leah got angry and started yelling very loudly,” she said.The next day, the woman and her family overhead Browne screaming “oh no, oh no, I’m sorry.” Cuevas responded, “Shut the fuck up,” according to the five-page criminal complaint.“Then everything went quiet,” she added, “no voices, no more sounds. It was clear to me that [Browne] was fearful and was getting assaulted…The scare in her voice was like nothing I ever heard before.”The next time she saw Cuevas she was mopping the hallway. She inquired about Browne’s whereabouts and was told she “walked off with a Jamaican man.”Police weren’t called until two days later, July 7, when Browne’s co-worker and sister came to the apartment.According to New York City records, the apartment building located at 346 Sumpter Street in Brooklyn, was owned by Garth Lewis, who sold it on June 19, 2013 to Vladimir Cuevas, who is believed to be her husband.It was described as a “sale between relatives or former relatives.”Less then four months later, another deed was filed for the same address, but under the name Janett Lloyd. The deed identifies the seller as Garth Lewis, who, according to the documents, was deceased. The deed claims that Lewis died Feb. 26, 2013, four months before the purported sale to Cuevas.Lloyd is identified in the deed as Lewis’ sole surviving heir.A Suffolk County police spokeswoman declined to say if investigators are looking into the sales.Browne’s remains were taken to the Nassau and Suffolk County medical examiners’ offices. Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.last_img read more

Nigerian Hopefuls Crash out of Lagos Open

first_imgFemi SolajaNigeria’s campaign at the ongoing Lagos Open tennis championship Future 3 at the Lagos Lawn Tennis court came to an end last night following the elimination of Joseph Imeh, Emmanuel Idoko, Blessing Samuel and Quadre Barakat Oyinlomo in their respective matches.In less than 15 minutes, Nigerian Joseph Imeh retired in his match against number 7 seed Garanganga, Takanyi from Zimbabwe and the match ended 3-0 while on Court 1, top seed in men’s singles Tunisia’s Mansouri Skander beat Nigerian Idoko 7-5, 6-4 in the game that lasted 1h 15min. Blessing Samuel was humbled by Samir Sandra of India in 6-0,6-0 game to complete the losing streak of Nigerian players in the annual tournament.In other results, Number 4 seed Pichler David from Austria beat American Bushamuka William in straight set of 6-1,6-0 on Court 7 in a match that lasted 51min just asGoveas Aryan, Number 8 seed defeated Cheruiyot Kevin from Kenya 6 -3, 6-2 in 1h 11mins on Court 5.The first leg of the tournament will end tomorrow while the semifinal matches would be decided this morning along with the doubles events.Heineken, the International premium lager beer is the main sponsor of the event this year.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more