Officials say Rafael Ortiz Martínez of the local daily Zócalo, who went missing in the northern state of Coahuila on 8 July, was probably kidnapped by drug traffickers who were the subject of his articles. Reporters Without Borders fears for his life and calls on the federal judicial authorities to take over his case. May 13, 2021 Find out more Organisation News Help by sharing this information Reports to go further News MexicoAmericas RSF_en April 28, 2021 Find out more Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state News July 24, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Officials say drug traffickers probably abducted missing journalist Receive email alerts 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say May 5, 2021 Find out more The judicial authorities in the northern state of Coahuila have said Rafael Ortiz Martínez of the local daily Zócalo, who went missing in the city of Monclova on 8 July, was probably kidnapped by drug traffickers.“If this is true, we would be extremely concerned about Ortiz’s fate,” Reporters Without Borders said. “Drug trafficking has become a virtually untouchable subject for Mexican journalists, who have to choose between censoring themselves or putting their lives in danger. Given the gravity of this case, we reiterate our call for an investigation at the federal level.”Ortiz, who also hosts a local radio show, had written at least five reports about drug trafficking in Monclova and the surrounding region. Coahuila governor Humberto Moreira Valdés says drug traffickers often use abduction as a way to intimidate the media.The Ortiz case resembles that of Alfredo Jiménez Mota of the local daily El Imparcial who went missing on 2 April 2005 in the northwestern state of Sonora after investigating drug trafficking._______________________________________________________________11.07.06 – Journalist missing in Coahuila stateReporters Without Borders voiced deep concern today about the disappearance of Rafael Ortiz Martínez, a radio and newspaper journalist based in Monclova, in the northern state of Coahuila, who has not been seen since 8 July.“We urge the Coahuila state authorities to do everything possible to find Ortiz quickly and to alert the new prosecutor’s office that specialises in attacks on the press,” Reporters Without Borders said.“The investigators should consider the possibility that Ortiz’s disappearance is related to his work as a journalist,” the organisation added, noting that two other journalists are missing in Mexico – Jesús Mejía Lechuga since 10 July 2003 and Alfredo Jiménez Mota since 2 April 2005.Aged 32, Ortiz is a reporter for the Monclova edition of the daily newspaper Zócalo. He also presents a one-hour news programme called Radio Zócalo every morning on radio XHCCG 104.1 FM. The editor of Zócalo, Sergio Cisneros, issued a statement saying Ortiz had not been seen since he left the newspaper on finishing his work at around 1:30 or 1:45 a.m. on 8 July. Cisneros said he was very surprised by Ortiz’s disappearance and did not know why it had happened.Ortiz wrote two sensitive articles last week, one about prostitution in downtown Monclova and the other about the spread of a hepatitis C at a centre for treatment and social reintegration.Cisneros said the newspaper alerted the local authorities after noticing Ortiz’s prolonged and inexplicable absence. Ortiz’s father, Rafael Ortiz del Toro, reported his disappearance yesterday to the local state prosecutor’s office. MexicoAmericas Follow the news on Mexico
NewsLocal NewsPrison warning for sulky racers and driversBy admin – December 21, 2012 923 Email Twitter Previous articleTurkey for ChristmasNext articleHow Nanny Twinkerbell broke the mould admin Advertisement WhatsApp Linkedin A CLEAR message has been sent out to people who engage in or facilitate sulky racing on public roads – you can expect imprisonment if prosecuted. Judge Eugene O’Kelly was the man with the message at Limerick District Court last week when he heard evidence in a case where “support cars” were blocking a public road and “engaging in an extremely dangerous activity”. His comments came when 26-year-old Ian Butler of Downey Street, Garryowen narrowly escaped a prison sentence on a charge of dangerous driving as a result of representations by his defence solicitor.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The court was told that his car was one of 30 vehicles bound for Limerick in support of a sulky race that had “commandeered the public road for a private race”on the main road to Boher at 8.30am last New Year’s Eve.Inspector Paul Reidy said that Mr Butler was “engaged in an extremely dangerous activity while he had no insurance”.When defending solicitor John Devane, said his insurance was “just shortly out of date”, Judge O’Kelly replied that “it was not going to be any good to an injured person in the event of an accident”.“It’s extremely arrogant of people to think they can commandeer a public road for a private race. Your client and his colleagues, were putting unsuspecting drivers in extreme danger. Someone could have been hospitalised”, he told Mr Devane.Mr Devane said that sulky racing was part of his client’s background adding that it was “genetically inbred into a horsey background” to which Judge O’Kelly replied that it was “no problem if they wanted to race around the fields, but not on the roadways”.Imposing a four month prison sentence suspended for 12 months, Judge O’Kelly said he wanted to send out “a very clear message that if you do this, you can expect imprisonment from now on.”The defendant was also disqualified for eight years for dangerous driving and for two years for driving without insurance. Print Facebook
“I think a lot of partners and allies are saying, can the US be relied upon to lead on major global challenges — whether it’s a pandemic or whether it’s climate change or nonproliferation?” she said.”It’s going to have effects on other dimensions of our relationship.” China, US joust to lead COVID-19 first emerged late last year in the Chinese metropolis of Wuhan — likely at a market that sold exotic animals for their meat — and Beijing initially tried to suppress the news including by detaining the doctor who sounded the alarm.But China in the past week has sought to turn its COVID-19 response into a sort of soft power, with President Xi Jinping visiting Wuhan to trumpet success at containing the spread.China has sent medical equipment to Italy, the second-worst hit country, and Spain, highlighting its authoritarian model as decisive.It has also used the crisis as leverage against the United States, which has been seeking to combat Beijing’s influence in all areas.An article in the state-run Global Times unsubtly hinted that China could stop exports of face masks and other medical gear if the Trump administration keeps pressing to restrict its tech giant Huawei. China as well as Russia has also promoted unfounded conspiracy theories to discredit the United States. Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian suggested on Twitter that the US military may have brought the new coronavirus to Wuhan.The Trump administration, which has offered $100 million in aid worldwide to help other countries deal with the pandemic, has in turn sought to associate China firmly with COVID-19.Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speaks of the illness as the “Wuhan virus” and Republican Senator Tom Cotton has vowed that the United States will “hold accountable those who inflicted it on the world.” Topics : Revenge of the technocrats? Michael Green, who was the top Asia advisor to former president George W. Bush, doubted that China would ultimately find many buyers for its “arguments about the failures of democracy.”But he added: “That does not mean that the US will win this information battle.” “While the Japanese and others in Asia are not getting the shock treatment that the Europeans got overnight, there is a very strong sense of questioning American leadership right now,” said Green, now a senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.In one example, Green pointed to the stalemate in talks over South Korea’s contributions to US bases, with Trump irritating the ally by insisting on much higher payments.One broader effect, Green said, may be a shifting political narrative. Xi, once seen as untouchable in China, has faced criticism as netizens cheer on doctors — much like Americans across party lines have hailed Anthony Fauci, the 79-year-old veteran head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.Trump’s 2016 upset win, Britain’s vote to leave the European Union and other populist victories had been seen as proof “that the technocrats failed” following the Great Recession of the late 2000s and the Iraq war, Green said.”I think it’s very possible that the macro result this time could be that the political populists failed and it’s the technocrats who emerge as the heroes,” Green said.”We’ll see. But that may be how political history turns in this chapter.” Thousands of people have died, the US response has infuriated European allies, and China has gone on a propaganda offensive. The new coronavirus is shaping up to be a cataclysmic event with far-reaching consequences in global politics.The COVID-19 pandemic, which has infected more than 130,000 people globally, strikes a world already in flux with the rise of nationalists such as US President Donald Trump who have scoffed at the rules of the “globalist” order.”When the dust settles on the COVID-19 world, we won’t be in the same place that we were just a week ago,” said Jon Alterman, a senior vice president at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington. “We know that governments will shake as citizens judge them to have fumbled in their response. We know that economies will be disrupted and some economies are likely to collapse,” he said.Trump, who initially dismissed the risks of COVID-19, late Wednesday abruptly imposed a 30-day ban on most travel from mainland Europe and vowed to confront the “foreign virus.”Leaders from the European Union voiced outrage at the move, which triggered chaos at airports, and said that they had not been consulted — which Trump acknowledged. Kelly Magsamen, the vice president for national security and international policy at the left-leaning Center for American Progress, said Trump’s move would only increase questions about Washington’s historic leadership role.