BRC reports third fall in a row for food sales

first_imgFood sales are down for the third month in a row, in both like-for-like (LFL) and total terms, according to the British Retail Consortium (BRC).LFL and total sales of food were down 3.5% and 1.4% in July respectively.  This was largely due to a tough comparable period in July 2013, when events like Wimbledon and the birth of the royal baby helped food sales reach record growth.The decline in sales has worsened this July as expected, although the 12-month average for food has shown a positive growth of 0.4%.David McCorquodale, head of retail, KPMG, said: “The tale of two sectors continues, with polarisation between food and non-food. While non-food retailers had a stellar month, surpassing even last year’s record sales performance, the grocers saw sales tumble in value as their competitive pricing continued.“The grocers’ figures continue to make for gloomy reading for the sector. The impact of their prolonged discounting campaigns may be good news for consumers, but must be being felt deeply by the retailers given like-for-like sales have fallen in value every month for the last 12 months, save for April when Easter helped sales. The headache for the grocer investor is the tonic for the consumer: it’s likely these price wars are here to stay for the foreseeable future.”Joanne Denney-Finch, chief executive, IGD, said: “Warm weather is usually good for food and drink sales, but since last July was hotter than this, year-on-year food retail sales were again disappointing.”Despite the disappointing sales figures for food, some research suggests shoppers are soon to turn their focus to quality when buying groceries.Denney-Finch said: “However, the stream of positive economic news is having some effect on shopper sentiment. A fifth (20%) of them are planning to prioritise quality over saving money in their grocery shopping, compared with 16% who said this a year ago, according to our latest ShopperVista research. With low inflation and a gradual return to wage growth, people are slowly becoming better placed to act on this rising focus on quality.”last_img read more

New father Kenta Maeda pitched well on little sleep, now gets some time off

first_img Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start The fact that Maeda pitched so well on so little sleep was not lost on the Dodgers, Roberts said.“He said he was hoping he’d pitch well and he did,” he said. “So we encouraged him to get the same amount of sleep before his next start.”That next start is scheduled for Wednesday in San Diego. But Maeda was placed on the paternity list Saturday, clearing a spot for the Dodgers to add right-hander Dylan Floro, the reliever acquired from the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday. Maeda can spend three days on the paternity list before he must be re-activated.Related Articles ANAHEIM – Dodgers right-hander Kenta Maeda didn’t get the win Friday night. But he got something much better.Maeda’s wife gave birth to the couple’s second child and first son early Friday morning, leaving the new father to operate on little sleep Friday night against the Angels.Sign up for our Inside the Dodgers newsletter. Be the best Dodger fan you can be by getting daily intel on your favorite team. Subscribe here.No matter – Maeda turned in an excellent start, holding the Angels to one run (scored on a balk) on three hits while striking out nine and handing a lead over to the Dodgers’ bullpen in the sixth inning. That lead didn’t hold up.“He was very clear that he wanted to pitch regardless,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “It just sort of worked out that he was able to be there for the birth … when the baby boy was born. He went back home, took a nap and made his start.” Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire center_img Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco In addition to Floro, the Dodgers also recalled reliever Pat Venditte from Triple-A Oklahoma City and placed right-hander Yimi Garcia on the disabled list with inflammation in his right forearm.This is Venditte’s fifth trip this season from OKC. He has made five appearances with the Dodgers, allowing four runs on eight hits in 4-1/3 innings. In Triple-A, he has a 1.93 ERA and has held hitters to a .182 batting average.BACK TO SCHOOL For the second time in four years, the Dodgers failed to sign one of their top draft picks. Their first-round pick in this year’s draft, high school right-hander J.T. Ginn, chose to follow through on a commitment to attend Mississippi State rather than sign with the Dodgers before Friday’s deadline despite what GM Farhan Zaidi confirmed was a bonus offer “a little above our slot.” The slot value for the 30th pick overall this year was approximately $2.275 million.“He was the top guy on our board when we were picking and our philosophy is to take the top talent on the board and try to see if we can work out a deal,” Zaidi said. “The family really valued school and had expectations beyond where our spot was.“Ultimately they valued the option to go to school more than that (bonus offer). Sometimes we know that a player will sign for slot ahead of time. Sometimes we don’t. If we like the talent enough we’re willing to take the chance.”The Dodgers will receive the 31st pick in next year’s draft as compensation. With the strength of the Dodgers’ farm system, Zaidi said, “it’s not really a loss of talent as it is a loss of a year (of development). We’re in a pretty good position to take that deferral.”“We’re disappointed but we get the extra pick next year. We’ve been down that road before and done OK.”The Dodgers’ top pick to sign is their second-round pick, right-hander Michael Grove. Grove had Tommy John surgery following his sophomore season at West Virginia and did not pitch as a junior while recovering. Zaidi said Grove has been throwing off a mound and the “conservative” estimate is that he will be ready to pitch in games during the fall instructional league in Arizona.ALSOLeft-hander Rich Hill said the neck stiffness that cropped up after his headfirst slide at the plate on Wednesday has improved. He is expected to make his scheduled start on Tuesday.Right-hander Walker Buehler is scheduled to throw a five-inning simulated game Sunday. If all goes well, Roberts said Buehler is expected to make a start next weekend rather than wait until after the All-Star break to activate the young right-hander. Buehler has pitched just four innings – one in relief with the Angels and three in a rehab assignment at Class-A Rancho Cucamonga last week – since going on the DL June 8.Staff writer J.P. Hoornstra contributed to this report.UP NEXTDodgers LHP Alex Wood (5-5, 3.84 ERA) at Angels LHP Andrew Heaney (4-6, 3.94 ERA), Sunday, 5:05 p.m., ESPN Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img read more