Moruca athletes defend Region One Inter-Zone title

first_imgMORUCA continued their reign as athletics champions after surging to victory in the three-day Region One Inter-Zone Athletics Championships, held from Wednesday to Friday at the Mabaruma Settlement ground.Almost 300 athletes from the three sub-regions battled in road races, high jumps, throws, distance races and sprints.Moruca, who led from day one, were able to accumulate a whopping 768 points. Home team Mabaruma, who did relatively well in the road races and throws, finished second on 587 points, while Matarkai placed third with 303 points.After Day One of the event (10k road races and throws), Moruca athletes had already raced to 209 points, while the home team compiled 148 and Matarkai 42.In the second day, although Moruca and Mabaruma continued to dominate by reaching 427 and 351 points respectively, Matarkai were able to get themselves in the thick of things with 129 points.A few of their athletes were able to excel at the long jumps. Vanessa George was the first to gold, when she copped the top prize in the U-18 high jump on Thursday morning.Soon other Matarkai athletes joined in with Greg Revers U-18, little Zanavier Benjamin U-8 and Euclin Ashby U-18 dominating the long jumps. Aristol Gibson also won the U-10 cricket ball throw.Matarkai, who travelled with their largest side to date – 94 athletes and teachers – had also included an athlete from the Baramita Primary School.Both Moruca and Mabaruma were reportedly represented by 100 athletes each.The best athletes from the championships will now be selected to represent Region One at the National Schools’ Cycling, Swimming and Track and Field Championships (Nationals), billed for November 17-21 at the National Track and Field Centre in Leonora, National Park in Georgetown and National Aquatic Centre in Liliendaal.last_img read more

21 days agoArsenal boss Emery: Willock can replace Ramsey

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Arsenal boss Emery: Willock can replace Ramseyby Paul Vegas21 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveArsenal boss Unai Emery believes Joe Willock can fill the void left by Aaron Ramsey and Jack Wilshere in their midfield.The Gunners released Wilshere a year ago with the 27-year-old joining West Ham, while Ramsey also left on a free transfer when he moved to Juventus this summer.“Willock started the pre-season with us last year, I didn’t give him more minutes but he was with us in every game, working in training, playing matches in the cup and at the end of the season,” said Emery.“He deserved to start this season with the first-team and with us. My decision was after I saw him the last two months of last season working with us, his really big challenge was that Jack Wilshere left here, Aaron Ramsey left and he had to take that opportunity to be with us.“The last months of last year was the moment I spoke with him and said: ‘For you it is a big challenge in the new season to do differently and really show us you can take their position in this squad’.“I told him he is improving but he needs to not stop that improvement, we are working with him to improve even more.“But, if his progression keeps going the way it is going right now, I don’t know when he will stop and how far he can go.” last_img read more

17 days agoFrance coach Deschamps fears Tottenham keeper Lloris out long-term

first_imgFrance coach Deschamps fears Tottenham keeper Lloris out long-termby Paul Vegas17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFrance coach Didier Deschamps fears Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris is facing an extended period out injured.Spurs have confirmed Lloris will be sidelined for the remainder of 2019 after dislocating his elbow in defeat at Brighton.And Deschamps says: “We are talking about weeks and even months, and he will not be back on the field in 2019, that’s as good as safe.”He has been examined, but it is difficult to say exactly how long he has been out, because I am not an expert.”Of course, he will neither attend here nor the next national team meeting (in November) – and now we have to find out how how long it will take to recover.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Fans Tweeted Racist Remarks At Cinci’s Octavius Ellis After His Physical Play vs. Kentucky

first_imgCincinnati's Octavius Ellis.Cincinnati junior sophomore forward Octavius Ellis had himself an interesting week, to say the least. Ellis, one of the more physical players in the nation, was ejected against Purdue in his team’s second round contest after swinging an elbow at Boilermaker A.J. Hammons early in the second half. After the game, he made headlines when he trash-talked Kentucky ahead of their third round matchup. Unfortunately, that isn’t really where the story ends.Following the Wildcats’ win over the Bearcats Saturday night, a number of college basketball fans tweeted disparaging remarks at Ellis. Many of the comments were racist in nature. Others suggested he is a “thug”, and will be in jail soon. Here’s a sampling of what’s out there.Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.28.38 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.28.05 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.29.34 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.30.02 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.25.57 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.27.42 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.28.55 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.28.25 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.26.43 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.26.28 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.24.40 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.24.58 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.25.17 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.25.36 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.24.15 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.24.01 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.23.37 PM Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.29.13 PMIt’s important to note that it’s likely that not all of these “fans” support Kentucky, and even if they do, they don’t represent the majority of the team’s fan base. Ellis handled the situation well, tweeting a photo of himself smiling as the comments were coming in. Still smiling thru the bad an good lol pic.twitter.com/KJX9NXZsrG— octavius ellis (@Tay_UC2) March 22, 2015Needless to say, this kind of behavior needs to stop immediately. And it isn’t just a Kentucky problem – it’s a problem across the entire college sports landscape.last_img read more

Here’s The Latest Clemson Hype-Video To Get You Pumped For 2016

first_imgA view of a large Clemson tailgate.CLEMSON, SC – OCTOBER 3: A general view of the Clemson flag during the Tigerwalk prior to the game between the at Clemson Memorial Stadium on October 3, 2015 in Clemson, South Carolina. (Photo by Tyler Smith/Getty Images)Clemson meets Auburn for their season opener on Sept. 3, and this new Clemson hype-video makes clear that the Tigers are coming out strong.Created by Tigers fan Son of Clemson, “Sound The Alarm” sets the stage with dramatic music from the the Star Wars:Rogue One trailer, emphasizing the great anticipating and expectations of the 2016 football season. Will the Tigers be as powerful as the science fiction characters? Check out this Clemson hype-video, and decide for yourself.You can watch the hype-video below:The Tigers went 14–1 and 8–0 in ACC games in 2015, winning the 2015 ACC Championship Game against the North Carolina Tar Heels, 45–37. The 2015 season marked their first undefeated regular season since winning the national title in 1981.After defeating the Oklahoma Sooners in the Orange Bowl, No. 1 Clemson lost to No. 2 Alabama Crimson Tide in the 2016 national championship, 45–40. Both Clemson and Alabama finished the season 14–1. Will the Tigers get revenge in 2016?last_img read more

UN says Canadas plan to rescue Wood Buffalo National Park not enough

first_imgIn an email, Parks Canada said it “recognizes the outstanding universal value of Canada’s 19 UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is committed to their ongoing protection.”Wood Buffalo, which straddles the Alberta-Northwest Territories boundary, is one of the world’s largest freshwater deltas and is the breeding ground for millions of migratory birds from four continental flyways.With almost 45,000 square kilometres of grasslands, wetlands and waterways, it is the world’s only breeding ground for endangered whooping cranes and home to the world’s largest herd of free-ranging wood buffalo. First Nations depend on the area.But it has been deteriorating for decades. In 2014, the Mikisew Cree asked UNESCO to examine the park to see if it still merited designation as a World Heritage Site.The UNESCO report prompted Ottawa to commission a 561-page study that concluded 15 out of 17 measures of ecological health were declining. The effects, everything from low water flows to curtailed Indigenous use, stem largely from changes to area rivers caused by climate change, dams in British Columbia and industry in Alberta.Canada proposed solutions such as artificially induced spring floods and other water flows. Ottawa also promised more careful environmental reviews of nearby development and better consultation with Indigenous people. OTTAWA, O.N. – The status of Canada’s largest park as a World Heritage Site remains wobbly after a United Nations body expressed grave doubts about a federal plan to rescue it.“Considerably more effort will be needed to reverse the negative trends at a time when climate change combined with upstream industrial developments and resource extraction are intensifying,” says a draft decision on Wood Buffalo National Park from UNESCO, which manages the UN’s list of World Heritage Sites.Further deterioration, it says, “could eventually lead to the inscription of the property on the list of World Heritage in Danger.” Since that report, Alberta has created a series of wildland areas around most of the park as a buffer zone.“The action plan includes over 140 actions to increase protection of ecosystems,” Parks Canada said.The UN draft decision praises those measures, including the controversial Bill C-69 on environmental assessments.But UNESCO points out Canada failed to answer concerns about B.C. Hydro’s Site C dam. It also says ongoing oilsands development upstream from the park is of “serious concern.”center_img The report notes Teck Frontier’s oilsands mine would move development closer to the park. It also wants an assessment of the failure risks posed by oilsands tailings ponds.Parks Canada has committed more than $27.5 million over five years to support the federal plan. UNESCO says that’s not enough.“More funding will likely be needed given the size of the property and the complexity of the issues,” it says.Kecia Kerr of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society said the UNESCO decision is serious business.“It’s a serious tone and it’s a warning,” she said. “It’s definitely not a real passing grade.”Arresting the park’s decline will take strong measures, she said.“The continuation of adding a small impact here, a small impact there, (has) already overwhelmed the park. It will require some tough decisions and actually saying no to some projects.”There are 33 countries with properties on the list of sites in danger. The United Kingdom and the United States each have one site on the list, but almost all are from Africa, South America and the Middle East.Parks Canada said it does not expect to join that list.“While acknowledging that there is more work to be done, the draft decision affirms the (government’s) commitment to the ongoing protection and management of Canada’s largest national park and World Heritage Site.”UNESCO is to take its final vote on the draft decision on Canada’s response at its next meetings starting at the end of the month.last_img read more

After Amitabh Bachchan Ranbir Kapoor Kartik Aaryan shoots for Pulwama tribute video

first_imgNew Delhi: Kartik Aaryan is currently busy as a beaver shooting for Imtiaz Ali’s film. However, when the young lad was approached to be a part of a tribute song dedicated to the 40 slain CRPF jawans, who died in a terror attack in Pulwama in February, Kartik set aside everything and took time out from his busy schedule to shoot for this special video. As per sources, few days back Kartik shot for his part in the four-minute long video titled — Tu Desh Mera at a studio in Filmcity, which also includes other actors like Amitabh Bachchan, Aamir Khan, Ranbir Kapoor and others. The song is composed in the memory of the soldiers who were killed in the attack and is sung by Sonu Nigam and Sukhwinder. Also Read – ‘Terminator: Dark Fate’ has James Cameron’s fingerprints all over it: Arnold Schwarzenegger The video, which shows the lives of jawans and has been shot at multiple locations across the country, is a collaboration between the Central Reserve Police (CRPF) and Happy Productions India. Abhishek Mishra, MD, Happy Productions India, said, “We are happy to receive support from several Bollywood stars for the Pulwama martyrs and our jawans. We have worked with Kartik multiple times, and it has been a wonderful experience working with him for this video.”last_img read more

Spanish kings daughter charged with financial crimes

first_imgMadrid- Spanish King Juan Carlos’ youngest daughter Cristina has been summoned to face tax crime and money-laundering charges, a court on the island of Majorca said Tuesday.Cristina, 48, would be the first direct relative of the king ever to appear in court accused of wrongdoing. She has been linked to the business affairs of her husband Inaki Urdangarin, who is under investigation for alleged embezzlement of public funds.last_img

Wrestling Snyder wins BoJo 2nd Ohio State finishes 2nd well behind Penn

OSU wrestling coach Tom Ryan watches on during a match against Minnesota on Feb. 6, 2015. Credit: Lantern file photoST. LOUIS — Ohio State wrestling placed second at the NCAA Division I Wrestling Championships in St. Louis with 110 points, trailing only Penn State at 146.5.With five All-Americans, the Buckeyes had a strong performance and are already looking to build for next year. Every starter will be returning for the Buckeyes in 2018.“Senior year, the nationals are going to be in Cleveland,” junior Kyle Snyder said after winning the 285-pound NCAA Championship. “So no better place to bring one to Ohio State. Our lineup is going to be really good next year.”With Snyder returning, the Buckeyes will enter 2018 with six wrestlers likely to be ranked in the top five of their weight class.The team clinched second place by the end of competition in the consolation bracket, before championship matches had begun.While Penn State led the field by a wide margin early and never looked as if they would surrender the lead, OSU had to fend off the likes of Iowa and Oklahoma State to ensure its silver finish. Oklahoma State finished third with 103 points and Iowa finished fourth with 97.The team featured one individual champion, a runner-up, two third place finishers, and a wrestler in both fourth and fifth place.Snyder captured his second national title over Wisconsin’s Connor Medbery at heavyweight, and redshirt junior Bo Jordan finished as a runner-up to Penn State’s Mark Hall.Redshirt junior 133-pounder Nathan Tomasello and redshirt freshman 197-pounder Kollin Moore each finished third in their respective weight classes, while 149-pounder Micah Jordan finished fourth and 184-pounder Myles Martin finished fifth.With that, the team features five All-Americans, each of which will be returning for the 2018 season. read more

Klopp urges UEFA to act against clubs that break FFP rules

first_imgLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has urged UEFA to take action against clubs if they break the rules on Financial Fair Play.German magazine Der Spiegel claims Sheikh Mansour’s City regime added multi-million-pound sponsorship deals with Abu Dhabi companies and using their owner’s fortune to meet UEFA’s Financial Fair Play (FFP) stipulations.Last Friday, the Football Leaks emerged with allegations that City were given an FFP settlement when they received sanctions for overspending by UEFA in 2014, and although the club declined to comment on what was called “out of context materials purportedly hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City”, it claimed “the attempt to damage the club’s reputation is organized and clear.”On his own, Klopp feels UEFA should take appropriate actions when clubs breache the rules, stating that the rules are a good thing for football when enforced.“I heard about the Der Spiegel story, but I didn’t read it so far,” Klopp said as quoted by Goal.Jadon Sancho, Borussia DortmundCrouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“It’s really difficult to comment but what I can say in general is that FFP is a really good thing. But we always thought that.”“If it’s in place, they (UEFA) have to do something with it. I have no clue what happens, I know it is about Paris obviously and Man City,” he said.“I’m not sure if other clubs are being talked about as well. That’s all I can say. I think FFP is a really good thing because it sets the rules and stuff like that.”“If everything is fine, then everything is fine. If not, then somebody should do something.”last_img read more