Illegal fishing still rife in North Natuna Sea: Ministry

first_imgSince the 115 anti-illegal fishing task force led by former minister Susi Pudjiastuti was disbanded in December, the ministry has arrested just 19 foreign fishing vessels, comprising Vietnam-, Malaysia- and Philippine-flagged fishing boats — a far cry from previous endeavors.Susi shot to fame during President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo’s first term for her insistence to “sink the ships” of other countries, but her strong personality was increasingly seen as a liability to the President, especially when it came to dealing with countries whose ships she had downed.She was replaced in Jokowi’s second term by Edhy Prabowo, an erstwhile lawmaker in the House of Representatives’ Commission IV overseeing marine resources.Observers have long bemoaned the continued practice of illegal fishing by other countries, which is partly exacerbated by a lack of surveillance ships and regulations.Read also: Minister Prabowo to deploy more ships to protect NatunaWhile Indonesia and Vietnam reached an agreement on a continental shelf boundary in 2003 after 30 years of negotiations, the two sides are still delimiting exclusive economic zones (EEZ) that some experts say will take many more years to settle.An EEZ grants exclusive rights to the country that controls it to exploit the resources within the water column, but both sides have overlapping claims.The claims have been a source of constant tension between the Southeast Asian neighbors, resulting in them agreeing to negotiate a “provisional arrangement” to prevent skirmishes at sea.Read also: Natuna tuna: Indonesia invites Vietnamese company to buy area’s fishVietnamese authorities have protested that their vessels were often caught in waters that both countries claimed as their own, but Haeru said he was “highly confident” that the latest boats to be seized were fishing well within Indonesia’s economic borders.“Even if they protested, there is an avenue for the Foreign Ministry to resolve the issue,” he said, adding that the crewmen have been sent to Batam to undergo further legal processes.The Vietnamese mission in Jakarta said it had not been informed of the arrest.Vietnam itself has been preoccupied with its own maritime skirmishes with China, after one of its own fishing boats was sunk by a Chinese white hull near the disputed Paracel Islands in the South China Sea last week, according to local reports.Hanoi lodged an official protest on Saturday, while the United States on Monday said it was “seriously concerned” about China’s actions and urged Beijing to instead focus on global efforts to fight the COVID-19 pandemic.Read also: Jakarta asserts sovereign rights on NatunaIndonesia was also caught in a diplomatic spat with China as early as December after it emerged that Chinese vessels had been illegally poaching in Indonesia’s EEZ for weeks.This sparked the Indonesian government’s order for hundreds of fishermen from the Javanese coastline to populate the North Natuna Sea, although only a few dozen have heeded the call.Topics : Most recently, the ministry detained two Vietnamese-flagged fishing vessels on Friday for illicit activities within the waters of Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone in Riau Islands province.The vessels, identified as KG 93811 TS and KG 93012 TS, were seized by the Orca 03 fisheries supervisory vessel, along with 22 Vietnamese crew members and illegal trawling equipment.The ministry’s director general of marine resources and fisheries supervision, TB Haeru Rahayu, said the boats were caught in the 711 Fisheries Management Area (WPP), which encompasses the Karimata Strait, the Natuna Sea and the North Natuna Sea. “Looking at the data in the field, it seems there is an increasingly concerning trend of more illegal fishing activities in North Natuna,” he told The Jakarta Post on Tuesday. As various government agencies scramble to contain the spread of COVID-19, illegal fishing in Indonesia’s outermost islands of the North Natuna Sea remains rife, a senior official at the Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Ministry has said.Indonesia’s vast and porous borders have been subject to years — even decades — of poaching by countries as far away as China, but the coronavirus pandemic has dominated much of the headlines since it spread throughout Southeast Asia over the past couple of months.But while most governments in the region have looked inward to curb the spread of the deadly disease within their respective borders, the disease has not stopped foreign fishermen from trying to fish illegally in Indonesian waters.last_img read more

Dodgers’ Alex Wood makes his pitch for playoff start

first_img Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error The Dodgers (90-70) have won 90 games in three consecutive seasons for the first time since 1976-78. More importantly, they’re a half-game ahead of the New York Mets (89-70) for home-field advantage in the NLDS.The Mets were rained out Friday and will play a doubleheader Saturday.If the Dodgers finish with a better regular-season record than the Mets, Game 3 will be at Citi Field. If the teams finish with the same record, or the Mets finish with a better record than the Dodgers, Game 3 will be at Dodger Stadium.That could factor into the decision of who starts the game for the Dodgers. Wood (12-12) has a 2.21 ERA in six starts this season at Dodger Stadium, compared to 3.84 for the season. Anderson is 10-9 with a 3.69 ERA — but only 3-5 with a 4.29 ERA at home. Either Alex Wood or Brett Anderson will probably start Game 3 of the National League Division Series for the Dodgers.Based on each pitcher’s most recent start, it isn’t clear who wants it more.One day after Anderson pitched into the eighth inning in San Francisco, Wood shut down the San Diego Padres for seven innings in the Dodgers’ 6-2 win before an announced crowd of 45,564 at Dodger Stadium.“It’s good to finish on a high note and play for home-field advantage,” Wood said. “I’m glad I was able to do my part.”center_img “Even when I was in Atlanta, I liked pitching here,” Wood said.Citi Field hasn’t been as kind to Wood. He’s winless in four career starts there, with a subpar 4.56 ERA. Anderson has never faced the Mets in his career.“Obviously the numbers have shown that (Wood) pitches better here,” Mattingly said. “I have no clue (why). For the most part, it shouldn’t make a difference really. When you’re 60 feet 6 inches, you make quality pitches and get ground balls.”Either way, both pitchers are almost certainly destined to make the Dodgers’ NLDS roster. Mattingly said earlier in the day that the roster will include four starting pitchers, and Wood and Anderson are the best of any Dodgers starters not named Greinke or Kershaw.Wood and Padres starter Casey Kelly (0-2) traded zeroes Friday until the bottom of the third inning, when the Dodgers erupted for five runs.With runners on first and second base, Adrian Gonzalez drove in Carl Crawford with a one-out single. On a potential double-play ground ball by Justin Turner, Padres second baseman Cory Spangenberg overthrew second base, sending Kendrick home and Gonzalez to third base.A groundout by Andre Ethier, followed by RBI singles by Corey Seager and A.J. Ellis, completed the rally.Kendrick also doubled and scored on an RBI single by Turner in the fifth inning.Mattingly started his regular position players for the second straight day, backing up talk of the importance of home-field advantage by playing his best players.“It’s important for guys to stay sharp and fresh because there’s going to be a four-day layoff going into the next series,” Ellis said. “Guys want to get their at-bats in. It’s nice to have that edge of winning baseball games. I remember the last couple years where we’ve locked things up a little bit earlier, and there’s that 10, 12 days of up and down. Donnie’s doing a good job making sure the motor stays on and we’re still playing the right way.”last_img read more

Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque on ‘holding my breath’ through death-defying spot at the end of NXT TakeOver

first_img“You know they are coming,” Levesque said. “You know what’s happening and especially in big ones like that because that is stuff I absolutely know and I absolutely sign off on it. There’s certain things where I believe they can do safely and I believe the risk-to-reward ratio is reasonable.”But there are also things that were brought up tonight where I was like, ‘Absolutely not’ (laughs). ‘No, you’re not doing that guys. As much as I love you guys and want you to tear it up like you were going to tear it up with all the other stuff, you don’t need that.'”But that’s when you hold your breath and you just wait for the landing and you’re just waiting for the referee to tell you that everybody is OK.” THIS IS WAR. #NXTTakeOver #WarGames @AdamColePro @NXTCiampa pic.twitter.com/huX7GjfgET— WWE NXT (@WWENXT) November 24, 2019Join DAZN and watch more than 100 fight nights a yearThe ending was one of the most dangerous spots in WWE in some time. Two wrestlers were at the top of a cage about 15 to 20 feet in the air, and all you can hope for as a spectator is that, whatever happens, both men will be OK. Ciampa and Cole ended up being OK.The moment wasn’t lost on Paul “Triple H” Levesque, the founder and senior producer of NXT and WWE’s executive vice president of talent, live events and creative, as he watched his top acts putting it all on the line.”Those are the moments where I’m just holding my breath,” Levesque told Sporting News during a media session following the event. “The truth is in this business, I’ve seen more people get injured, including myself, on dumb little things. The stuff, the big, giant spectacle spots that you really put so much care and thought into — yes, they are extremely dangerous, yes, they are extremely impactful.”It’s funny, (but) more often than not, it’s the guy running across the ring and just turns his ankle and he’s out six months.” Even though Ciampa and Cole safely executed the maneuver, some will question why such a move would be needed in an already physical affair among eight participants inside two steel cages with tables at their disposal.  Levesque admits he approved the ending, but that doesn’t mean he was going to allow his talent to do everything under the sun.  ROSEMONT, Ill. — The main event of Saturday’s WWE NXT TakeOver: WarGames show at Allstate Arena featured Team Ciampa (Tommaso Ciampa, Keith Lee, Donovan Dijakovic and Kevin Owens) defeating The Undisputed Era (NXT heavyweight champion Adam Cole, North American champ Roderick Strong and tag team champions Bobby Fish and Kyle O’Reilly). The end of the match had Ciampa and Cole at the top corner of the first cage fighting for position. Ciampa, the former NXT champion, gained the advantage and executed the Air Raid with him and Cole crashing through a table. Ciampa then obtained the pinfall victory.last_img read more

Arnett look to heap more misery on Harbour View

first_imgFormer champions Harbour View will look to rebound from two consecutive losses today when they host Arnett Gardens in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) third round, preliminary game at Harbour View Stadium starting at 3 p.m. The Stars of the East are coming off 3-2 and 2-0 defeats to Boys’ Town and Reno FC, respectively, in five days. Now, they will host the four-time national champions in a critical game for both teams. . Harbour View have brought back former club stars such as Sean Fraser, Luton Shelton, McKauley Tulloch and Akeem Priestly to bolster their attack, but the team remains inconsistent. They are currently in ninth position on 27 points, just four above the relegation zone, and will hunt full points against the Junglists. The Ludlow Bernard-coached team needs to get tighter in defence as they have conceded 32 goals in 25 matches. Arnett are coming off a 1-0 win against Humble Lion and are now in sixth position on 38 points, just three adrift of fifthplace Portmore United, who are on 41 points. With the top six teams advancing to the championship play-offs at the completion of the third and final preliminary round, the battle for places is becoming hotter and hotter. Arnett will look to super-sub Kemal Malcolm, Newton Sterling, captain Oneil ‘Bigga’ Thompson, Dicoy Williams and Ranike Anderson to get past the hosts. Tomorrow’s games – 5:30 p.m.: UWI FC vs Tivoli Gardens at National Stadium – 8 p.m.: Portmore United vs Boys’ Town at National Stadium – 3 p.m.: Harbour View vs Arnett Gardens at Harbour View Stadium – 3:30 p.m.: Jamalco vs Maverley-Hughenden at Wembley Centre of Excellence in Clarendon – 6 p.m.: Waterhouse vs Humble Lion at Drewsland Stadium Today’s gameslast_img read more

Falcao rescues Monaco a point after Balotelli double

first_img0Shares0000Monaco’s forward Radamel Falcao celebrates after scoring during the French L1 football match against Nice on January 16, 2018 © AFP / VALERY HACHEPARIS, France, Jan 16 – Radamel Falcao scored an injury-time equaliser to snatch Monaco a 2-2 draw with a Mario Balotelli-inspired Nice on Tuesday, but Marseille leapfrogged the Ligue 1 champions into second place by beating Strasbourg.Monaco took a first-half lead at the Stade Louis II through Adama Diakhaby, but Balotelli turned in an equaliser less than two minutes into the second period. The enigmatic Italian completed his double in the 68th minute, but Falcao stabbed in on his return from injury in the second minute of added time.“That’s Falcao. He’s a forward who takes chances, like Balotelli. That’s what great strikers do,” said Monaco coach Leonardo Jardim.The point extended Nice’s unbeaten run to seven league games, while Monaco will still slip out of the three Champions League places if Lyon win at Guingamp on Wednesday.Marseille’s third straight victory leaves them second, nine points adrift of runaway leaders Paris Saint-Germain and one point clear of Monaco, while Nice stay sixth.The away team were the better side early on without creating any clear-cut chances, with Balotelli curling a long-range free-kick wide and Pierre-Lees Melou firing straight at Danijel Subasic from the edge of the box.But Monaco forged ahead against the run of play in the 33rd minute as Diakhaby took advantage of a stroke of luck to net his second goal in three games.A hopeful ball forward ricocheted off Monaco winger Thomas Lemar and fell perfectly for Diakhaby to send the ball into the roof of the net, with Nice appeals for handball against Lemar waved away by the referee.Nice continued to play the better football after the restart, though, and Balotelli, who also scored twice in a 4-0 thrashing in September’s reverse fixture, stretched to divert a low Allan Saint-Maximin cross in at the near post.The former Manchester City and Inter Milan striker went agonisingly close to completing a turnaround, but couldn’t get enough contact onto another dangerous Saint-Maximin cross into the area.The game continued to open up and Lemar, linked with a January move to either Liverpool or Arsenal, was denied by a brave block from Nice midfielder Jean-Michael Seri.Balotelli did put Lucien Favre’s visitors ahead midway through the second half, as he powered forward before seeing a deflected effort loop over goalkeeper Subasic and into the net.It was Balotelli’s 18th goal of the season, despite having missed much of the campaign through injury and suspension.“It’s his first match since December. He was a bit behind following the short winter break,” said Nice coach Lucien Favre.“He’s progressed slowly, it takes time. But he’s coming from a long, long way back.”Falcao was a peripheral figure for the majority of the contest, but the Colombian was in the right place at the perfect time to tap in his 16th league goal this term after Stevan Jovetic’s shot was saved.– Subs give Marseille victory –Late goals from substitutes Clinton N’Jie and Dimitri Payet sealed a 2-0 home victory for Marseille over Strasbourg.Valere Germain saw a 72nd-minute penalty saved by Strasbourg goalkeeper Alexandre Oukidja, but N’Jie pounced to slam in with 11 minutes to play.Payet finished off the victory for Rudi Garcia’s men with a brilliantly-taken goal late on.It was only the 30-year-old’s third goal from 22 games this season in all competitions, but it arrived in style as his outrageous dummy left Oukidja flailing and set up a simple finish.“We missed pace and speed in the first half, but we were able to get back in the second with character and the missed penalty galvanised us,” said Payet.Elsewhere, Bordeaux slipped to a fifth defeat in six league games as they were beaten 2-0 by Caen.PSG host Dijon on Wednesday, with Neymar set to return after missing Sunday’s win at Nantes with a rib injury.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

IDS Promotes Beckie Santos to Manager of New Product Development

first_img IDS 2017-08-09 Joey Pizzolato August 9, 2017 525 Views International Document Services, Inc. (IDS), a mortgage document preparation vendor, announced recently the promotion of former Manager of Development Beckie Santos to the newly created position of Manager of New Product Development.In her new role, Santos will leverage her development experience to work closely with the IDS development team as well as operations, quality assurance, and compliance to help shape and guide future solutions.Santos joined IDS in 2004 as a developer. During her tenure in development, she became known as a go-to developer for difficult projects. In 2010, Santos was promoted to Manager of Development.In her new position, Santos will also oversee the global integrity of IDS systems. She will further work to make certain that releases run smoothly, coordinating with both customer support and development to certify that all updates are clean and efficient.“In the past 13 years that Beckie has worked at IDS, she has developed a wide breadth of experience and is known for her detailed knowledge of the IDS document engine,” Mark Mackey, VP and General Manager of IDS said. “Beckie has developed a broad set of skills in product management and development and has a deep understanding of the IDS products and services, as well as great awareness of the needs of IDS clients. I look forward to Beckie’s impact and leadership in her new role.” in Data, Headlines, News, Origination, Servicing, Technologycenter_img Share IDS Promotes Beckie Santos to Manager of New Product Development  last_img read more