Press Association Spurs remain hot on the heels of Brendan Rodgers’ in-form side after a thumping 4-0 victory at Newcastle on Wednesday. Summer arrival Chadli netted his first Premier League goal in the St James’ Park rout and wants Tim Sherwood’s fifth-placed side to keep pushing for a Champions League berth. “We are not looking at first or second place, we are just looking at the team in front of us, Liverpool,” the 25-year-old told reporters. “We have to keep playing like we did at Newcastle and keep going in every game for 100 per cent to get the three points. With five games to go, we will see where we are. “We are not looking to go above Chelsea. We are looking at Liverpool, who are directly above us and we have to go there in a few weeks, so that will be a big examination. “We are within touching distance of the top. We have had a good week, but in one week everything can happen, everything can change. “We can be up or we can be down, so we have to stay alert and play our game like we did at Newcastle, although I would say everything is possible this season. “It is a very different league this season, because a lot of teams are taking points off each other and are playing at around the same level.” Chadli’s fine strike after coming off the bench at Newcastle added extra gloss to the scoreline – and Spurs will hope it acts as a catalyst for the winger. The Belgium international has struggled for form after arriving at White Hart Lane from FC Twente in the summer. Last month Chadli had the opportunity to go on loan to Swansea for the remainder of the campaign, but turned down the move with the intention of proving his worth to the north Londoners. “It was a possibility, but it is in the past,” he said. “I had to make a decision and my decision was to stay. “Everything was not clear so I wanted to stay at Tottenham and play for my club. I have signed for five years here and I’m happy. “When I came to Spurs, I knew I wasn’t going to play in every game as we have 60 matches in a season. “I came and got injured, played, got injured again and so I haven’t played as much as I have wanted, but we have a big squad with a lot of good players and we have to compete with each other. I have to work hard in training and show it when I play.” Nacer Chadli wants to help Tottenham usurp Liverpool in the top four after turning down the chance to move away from the club in January.
Press Association Albion announced on Monday they had parted company with Mel, who only took over as their head coach in January, by mutual consent. The Spaniard kept the Baggies up – they finished 17th in the Barclays Premier League, three points above the relegation zone – but he endured a troubled reign. His first victory in the job did not come until his eighth match, the team won just three games in total out of the 17 he was in charge for, and only one of those triumphs was at home. Among the difficulties he faced was striker Shane Long being sold to Hull around the time Mel arrived at The Hawthorns, and he also subsequently lost the services of Nicolas Anelka as a consequence of the ‘quenelle’ saga. In an interview with Spanish radio station Cadena SER, the 51-year-old former Real Betis boss nonetheless spoke of a “wonderful experience” managing in the English top-flight. But he also made it clear there had been issues with regard to the style he wanted West Brom to play in. Mel said: “I had talks and West Brom and I decided that the best thing was to part company. “It’s a wonderful experience (to coach in the Premier League). Anyone in their jobs should experience this, you learn lots of things. “Football is experienced differently here – it’s neither better nor worse than Spain, just different. “But I cannot betray the essence of what I consider football to be. I think it is best to end it here. “They invented football and have a certain style and culture of football that is not necessarily the idea that we have right now in Spain.” He added: “The situation at the club at the beginning of January was not stable. They had sold some players. We lost Anelka. “In a week I had lost my best two strikers. It was difficult, we had a very complicated calendar and that is why I’m very happy and proud that we had saved ourselves when everything looked ugly. “We are all happy. But I cannot continue in the same way because I cannot betray myself. They (the players) are more comfortable doing what they know, to play the way they play. “We, the coaches, depend on the players – they are the ones that give to you or take things away from you. If the players are comfortable on the pitch that is crucial. “I go back home calm, knowing that I’ve done what I was hired to do. I leave with all the affection of the people and the club. “The best for me and my future is to find another place.” Mel has been strongly linked with a return to the Primera Division with Malaga. Along with Chris Hughton and Malky Mackay, other names in the frame to succeed him include Celtic boss Neil Lennon, Tim Sherwood – relived of his duties as Tottenham boss on Tuesday – and former Baggies midfielder Derek McInnes, who is currently in charge of Aberdeen. West Brom goalkeeper Ben Foster has suggested Mel’s level of English meant “it was always difficult” but has wished him well and stressed the need for the club’s players to reflect upon their own part in Albion’s poor campaign. Foster, quoted by the Express & Star, said: “As players we also need to have a long, hard, look at ourselves because we haven’t performed this year. “I think everyone would agree it’s been quite a lucky one and we’re all quite relieved that we’ve retained our status. “It’s always a bit of a shock when a manager leaves and I’d like to pass on my regards and best wishes. “It was a tough ask for him in the first place but, whoever we’d got in, everybody would have been really happy if they’d guaranteed us Premier League safety. “It was always difficult because of the language barrier.” Pepe Mel has indicated his unwillingness to “betray” his football philosophy was key to him leaving West Brom.
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comment (1) Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings Sort by: Date Rating Last Activity Loading comments… You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. +2 Vote up Vote down cabaum · 359 weeks ago Thank you for posting this. It is the first shout out to the WHS JV Volleyball team this season. They played hard last night!! Report Reply 0 replies · active 359 weeks ago Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Sumner Newscow report â€” The Wellington junior varsity volleyball team split with Wichita Collegiate and Circle Tuesday evening . Wellington won the first match against Wichita Collegiate: 28-26, 19-25, 25-23. The JV then lost to Circle 25-13, 25-18.
0Shares0000Nakumatt FC head coach Melis Medo reacts on the touchline during the club’s Kenyan Premier League match against Vihiga United on October 7, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 8 – Nakumatt FC head coach Melis Medo has torn into the club’s management over the team’s failure to automatically cling onto the Kenyan Premier League (KPL), with the side now faced with a play-off to determine whether or not they will continue playing into the top tier.Nakumatt slumped into the play-off after Sunday’s 2-0 loss to Vihiga United in Ruaraka with the coach among other things lamenting that the players have gone three months without pay while according to him a sponsor has been ready to step in, but the club’s managers have been ‘lazy’. “We have a big sponsor waiting I don’t know why they don’t want to change the name… Delay delay delay delay… I don’t know if its delay or laziness…. I don’t know what they are waiting for and it is costing this team,” the tactician told Capital Sport.He also took issue with the fact that they could not manage to secure Camp Toyoyo for their decider against Vihiga and had to play at Ruaraka, a pitch he says should not be hosting a KPL game.Nakumatt FC players converse in low tones after their defeat to Vihiga United during their Kenyan Premier League match on October 7, 2018. PHOTO/Raymond MakhayaHe added; “Again, We shouldn’t be playing here. Because of laziness on our part we didn’t register camp Toyoyo. Again, we couldn’t get Thika and we have to play on this pitch in Ruaraka.”The American born Egyptian coach says it has been difficult to motivate the players with the situation. Despite the club getting a new owner in politician Francis Mureithi, things haven’t gone as well as they would have expected.“You don’t expect much from players having not been paid for three months. They should earn a trophy as a matter of fact, we showed up fought and did our part. I don’t believe they (Vihiga) were better than us. We just had two mistakes and they scored two goals.”“For Gor Mahia, it was only one month and they did not train. For, us, it is three months and we have showed up and fought. These boys are fighters. I will never blame them. Before when we were doing okay, pay was on time and everything was on time. You can’t push them so much for 90 days. Half of the players are locked out of their homes,” Medo added.The tactician nonetheless is optimistic that if something is done between now and when they take part in the play-off, they will retain their status in the KPL.Nakumatt FC head coach Melis Medo passes instructions to Kevin Thairu and Tom Adwar during their defeat to Vihiga United in a Kenyan Premier League match on October 7, 2018. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNakumatt will face either Nairobi Stima or Ushuru in the play-off with the National Super League yet to be concluded.“At this point, it is not me. I did my part, infact I did more than my part but the owner needs to take care of his team. I am sure we will remain in the league if everything is taken care of,” further noted the coach.Nakumatt’s tribulations started last year when their parent company, supermarket chain Nakumatt Holdings started experiencing financial difficulties.They were handed a reprieve mid this year when politician Mureithi bought off the club, but despite a good start, things haven’t flown as smooth as was expected.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)