More sports in brief

first_img Costa Rica coach Wanchope in stadium fist fight PANAMA CITY (AP): Costa Rica soccer coach Paulo Wanchope landed in a fist fight while watching his country’s Under-23 team play in Panama. Video of the altercation shows Wanchope trying to enter the field through a gate in the stands. He appears to push a youth guarding the gate and then clashes with a man who punches and kicks him before police intervene. Local news reports indicate Wanchope was irritated at refereeing during Tuesday night’s pre-Olympic match, which ended 0-0. Wanchope took over Costa Rica’s team last year after a career as one of Central America’s most famous forwards. He played for several years in the English Premier League and was a star on the national team. Mexico, last month, fired its national team coach Miguel Herrera for allegedly punching a television broadcaster. Costa Rica’s soccer federation said in a statement that it was waiting to compile all the information available before commenting on the incident. Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo in running for UEFA Best Player award NYON, Switzerland (AP): Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez of Champions League winner Barcelona will compete with Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo for UEFA’s Best Player in Europe award for last season. UEFA says the three stars topped a Europe-wide poll of journalists who chose from a 10-player shortlist. The same 54-member panel picks a winner on August 27 at the Champions League group draw in Monaco. Messi and Ronaldo had a season-long duel for the Champions League scoring record and resume this season tied on 77 goals. Suarez is nominated despite starting his season in late October after serving a FIFA fan for biting at the World Cup. The Uruguay forward scored the decisive goal in Barcelona’s 3-1 win over Juventus in the Champions League final. Five Juventus players were shortlisted.last_img read more

Arnett look to heap more misery on Harbour View

first_imgFormer champions Harbour View will look to rebound from two consecutive losses today when they host Arnett Gardens in the Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) third round, preliminary game at Harbour View Stadium starting at 3 p.m. The Stars of the East are coming off 3-2 and 2-0 defeats to Boys’ Town and Reno FC, respectively, in five days. Now, they will host the four-time national champions in a critical game for both teams. . Harbour View have brought back former club stars such as Sean Fraser, Luton Shelton, McKauley Tulloch and Akeem Priestly to bolster their attack, but the team remains inconsistent. They are currently in ninth position on 27 points, just four above the relegation zone, and will hunt full points against the Junglists. The Ludlow Bernard-coached team needs to get tighter in defence as they have conceded 32 goals in 25 matches. Arnett are coming off a 1-0 win against Humble Lion and are now in sixth position on 38 points, just three adrift of fifthplace Portmore United, who are on 41 points. With the top six teams advancing to the championship play-offs at the completion of the third and final preliminary round, the battle for places is becoming hotter and hotter. Arnett will look to super-sub Kemal Malcolm, Newton Sterling, captain Oneil ‘Bigga’ Thompson, Dicoy Williams and Ranike Anderson to get past the hosts. Tomorrow’s games – 5:30 p.m.: UWI FC vs Tivoli Gardens at National Stadium – 8 p.m.: Portmore United vs Boys’ Town at National Stadium – 3 p.m.: Harbour View vs Arnett Gardens at Harbour View Stadium – 3:30 p.m.: Jamalco vs Maverley-Hughenden at Wembley Centre of Excellence in Clarendon – 6 p.m.: Waterhouse vs Humble Lion at Drewsland Stadium Today’s gameslast_img read more

Compton says absent Abueva dealing with ‘personal matters’

first_imgPhoto by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netCalvin Abueva was noticeably absent in Alaska’s 101-92 loss to Star Friday night in the PBA Governors’ Cup at Ynares Sports Center,The gutsy forward also reportedly hasn’t showed up in Alaska practices late and has skipped the national team training since the resumption last Thursday. ADVERTISEMENT View comments ‘I’m out!’: PewDiePie releases last video before taking break from YouTube 787 earthquakes recorded in 24 hours due to restive Taal Volcano LeBron James scores 31 points, Lakers beat Rockets MOST READ Aces head coach Alex Compton, though, offered little explanation about his star forward’s absence.“He’s got personal matters to take care of, and that’s all I can comment,” said Compton.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’Abueva is part of the lineup that is set to compete in the Fiba Asia Cup in Lebanon.The Filipinos are set to leave for the continental meet in Beirut on August 6 and Compton is unsure whether Abueva will still play for Alaska until then. Team Manila softbelles gain semis Indian national gunned down in Camarines Sur McGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC return End of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legend Ai-Ai delas Alas on Jiro Manio: ‘Sana pinahalagahan niya ang naitulong ko’ Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Kawhi Leonard, Clippers rally to beat Pelicans Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Marcosian mode: Duterte threatens to arrest water execs ‘one night’ “We’ll find out how things are, I really don’t have anything else to comment but that’s all I can share to you,” said Compton. LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. last_img read more

ELITE SEARCH GROUP RETURN TO HELP LOOK FOR MISSING LIFFORD MAN

first_imgSearching for the Missing will return to Donegal today to search for missing Lifford man David Colhoun.David, 21, has been missing missing May 21st after fleeing police custody in Strabane after being arrested for a minor incident.Despite widespread Garda and PSNI searches, there has still been no sightings of David. Searching for the Missing spokeswoman Liz Kavanagh said they will return to help.“Will do what we can to help in the search for David,” she said.She added that everyone can help in some way to help find David and give his family some relief.“All depending on weather conditions, Michael Hickey and the crew from Carrick-on-Suir River Rescue are confirmed as going to Lifford this Friday the 14th. We are waiting to confirm divers but it depends on how suitable the weather is.“We would appeal again to anyone who may be out for duck shooting season to be aware David is still missing and please if you are along the banks of the Foyle,or any connecting rivers to have an extra look around,” she said.ELITE SEARCH GROUP RETURN TO HELP LOOK FOR MISSING LIFFORD MAN was last modified: October 14th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:David ColhounmissingSearch for the Missinglast_img read more