TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Sociedad striker Isak: I turned down Real Madridby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Sociedad striker Alexander Isak has revealed he could’ve joined Real Madrid earlier in his career.The Swede moved to La Real this summer from Borussia Dortmund.He recalled to Marca: “When I played in Stockholm, I had several options and Real Madrid was one of them.”I spoke to several clubs to understand what they proposed and I chose Dortmund and this is the most important thing. “But it is true that since I was a child, I considered the LaLiga the best in the world and I dreamed of playing here one day. I am therefore happy to participate.”
NASHVILLE, TN – MARCH 12: Ben Simmons #25 of the LSU Tigers stands on the court after being charged with a technical foul in the game against the Texas A&M Aggies during the semifinals of the SEC Tournament at Bridgestone Arena on March 12, 2016 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)LSU should be one of the more intriguing programs during the 2015-16 college basketball season, thanks in large part to the presence of freshman forward Ben Simmons, the nation’s No. 1 recruit. Simmons and his teammates are hard at work in fall conditioning right now before practice opens up in a couple of weeks. This morning, Simmons posted video on Instagram showing himself and LSU guard Keith Hornsby pushing an SUV as part of a workout. Getting that work in this morning @khornz04A video posted by Ben Simmons (@benjaminsimmons25) on Sep 23, 2015 at 5:25am PDT Shout-out to whoever is letting the players use their SUV as workout equipment. That’s an interesting decision.
The National Alliance on Mental Illness of New York City, Inc. (NAMI-NYC Metro) recently celebrated their 11th annual NAMIWalks NYC.Darryl McDaniels at NAMIWalks NYCThe event took place at the South Street Seaport Promenade in Lower Manhattan. Hip Hop Legend and mental health advocate Darryl “DMC” McDaniels served as grand marshal and kicked off the walk with special remarks about dealing with mental illness in his own life.“Through generous corporate support and our devoted teams and walkers, I’m happy to report that we met our goal of $550,000 from NAMIWalks NYC this year,” said Nathan Romano, president of the board of directors, NAMI-NYC Metro. “With the encouraging words of Darryl McDaniels’ own personal story with mental illness, it was a great day in the fight against stigma towards mental illness.”New York’s largest mental health event hosted more than 2,000 people who turned out despite the wind and rain and traveled over the Brooklyn Bridge and back to the Seaport Promenade and ended the day with a wellness fair which included activities such as free massages, basic health screenings, give-a-ways, and more.NAMIWalks NYC celebrates recovery from mental illness and helps raise funds to combat stigma and promote awareness. Funds raised from NAMIWalks NYC will allow NAMI-NYC Metro to provide no-cost support and education to thousands of New Yorkers next year including four signature, multi-week education courses, bi-monthly public education events with leading experts, and more than 20 support groups for people living with mental health and for families and friends caring for an impacted loved one.
ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — It’s now impossible to clean up Newfoundland’s largest-ever oil spill that leaked into the ocean last week, according to the regulatory board that oversees the province’s offshore activities.The 250,000-litre spill happened on Friday morning while Husky Energy’s SeaRose platform was preparing to restart production during a fierce storm that was, at the time, the most intense in the world.Scott Tessier, chief executive of the Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador Offshore Petroleum Board, said no oil sheens were spotted on the water on Monday or Tuesday, meaning the oil has likely broken down to the point that it cannot be cleaned up.The board is now focused on wildlife monitoring and its investigation into the incident. Husky said Tuesday 14 oiled seabirds have been confirmed.Operators are responsible for following their own safety and environmental plans, said Tessier, and while all operators shut down in light of the storm, only Husky Energy attempted to restart production. The board recently found Husky Energy failed to follow its ice management plan during a 2017 near-miss between the SeaRose and a large iceberg, an event Tessier said will be considered in the current investigation.The Canadian Press
The New York Times says a report by CBS lawyers outlines more allegations of sexual misconduct by longtime chief Les Moonves. The report alleges that Moonves destroyed evidence and misled investigators as he attempted to protect his reputation and severance payments.The report was prepared by lawyers the network hired to determine if Moonves violated the terms of his employment agreement. The New York Times said Tuesday the 59-page report is to be presented to CBS’s board before the company’s annual meeting next week.It says Moonves could be denied his $120 million severance package after he had to quit in September amid numerous allegations of sexual misbehaviour.The investigators reported they received “multiple reports” about a network employee who was “on call” to perform oral sex on Moonves.The Associated Press
OTTAWA, ONT – Stricter Laws are now in effect for alcohol-impaired driving offences in Canada.With Bill C-46 being passed in June and taking effect on December 19th, 2018, these new changes include stricter penalties for impaired drivers and police officers now have the authority to demand breathalyzer tests from any driver they pull over. ‘A reasonable suspicion of impaired’ is no longer required for officers to ask for a breath sample. Drivers that refuse to take a breathalyzer test can be charged.Maximum penalties for many alcohol-impaired driving offences have increased in their monetary penalties and required prison terms. Mandatory minimum fines used to be;$1,000 for the first offence30 days imprisonment for the second offence120 days in jail for a third offence.Penalties now are;First offence, with a blood alcohol content of 80-119 mg – mandatory min. $1,000 fineFirst offence, with a blood alcohol content of 120-159 mg – mandatory min. $1,500 fineFirst offence, with a blood alcohol content of 160 mg or more – mandatory min. $2,500 fineFirst offence, but refuse to be tested – mandatory min. $2,000 fineSecond offence – mandatory min. 30 days imprisonmentThird or more offence – mandatory min. 120 days imprisonmentMaximum penalties for impaired driving causing no bodily harm or death – summary conviction carries two years less a-day imprisonment, indictment carries 10 years imprisonmentMaximum penalties for impaired driving causing bodily harm – Summary conviction for less severe injuries carries two years less a-day imprisonment, indictment carries 14 years imprisonmentMaximum penalty impaired driving causing death – life imprisonmentMothers Against Drunk Driving has welcomed the change and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association has expressed concern that racial minorities will be disproportionately affected.
In an email, Parks Canada said it “recognizes the outstanding universal value of Canada’s 19 UNESCO World Heritage Sites and is committed to their ongoing protection.”Wood Buffalo, which straddles the Alberta-Northwest Territories boundary, is one of the world’s largest freshwater deltas and is the breeding ground for millions of migratory birds from four continental flyways.With almost 45,000 square kilometres of grasslands, wetlands and waterways, it is the world’s only breeding ground for endangered whooping cranes and home to the world’s largest herd of free-ranging wood buffalo. First Nations depend on the area.But it has been deteriorating for decades. In 2014, the Mikisew Cree asked UNESCO to examine the park to see if it still merited designation as a World Heritage Site.The UNESCO report prompted Ottawa to commission a 561-page study that concluded 15 out of 17 measures of ecological health were declining. The effects, everything from low water flows to curtailed Indigenous use, stem largely from changes to area rivers caused by climate change, dams in British Columbia and industry in Alberta.Canada proposed solutions such as artificially induced spring floods and other water flows. Ottawa also promised more careful environmental reviews of nearby development and better consultation with Indigenous people. OTTAWA, O.N. – The status of Canada’s largest park as a World Heritage Site remains wobbly after a United Nations body expressed grave doubts about a federal plan to rescue it.“Considerably more effort will be needed to reverse the negative trends at a time when climate change combined with upstream industrial developments and resource extraction are intensifying,” says a draft decision on Wood Buffalo National Park from UNESCO, which manages the UN’s list of World Heritage Sites.Further deterioration, it says, “could eventually lead to the inscription of the property on the list of World Heritage in Danger.” Since that report, Alberta has created a series of wildland areas around most of the park as a buffer zone.“The action plan includes over 140 actions to increase protection of ecosystems,” Parks Canada said.The UN draft decision praises those measures, including the controversial Bill C-69 on environmental assessments.But UNESCO points out Canada failed to answer concerns about B.C. Hydro’s Site C dam. It also says ongoing oilsands development upstream from the park is of “serious concern.” The report notes Teck Frontier’s oilsands mine would move development closer to the park. It also wants an assessment of the failure risks posed by oilsands tailings ponds.Parks Canada has committed more than $27.5 million over five years to support the federal plan. UNESCO says that’s not enough.“More funding will likely be needed given the size of the property and the complexity of the issues,” it says.Kecia Kerr of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society said the UNESCO decision is serious business.“It’s a serious tone and it’s a warning,” she said. “It’s definitely not a real passing grade.”Arresting the park’s decline will take strong measures, she said.“The continuation of adding a small impact here, a small impact there, (has) already overwhelmed the park. It will require some tough decisions and actually saying no to some projects.”There are 33 countries with properties on the list of sites in danger. The United Kingdom and the United States each have one site on the list, but almost all are from Africa, South America and the Middle East.Parks Canada said it does not expect to join that list.“While acknowledging that there is more work to be done, the draft decision affirms the (government’s) commitment to the ongoing protection and management of Canada’s largest national park and World Heritage Site.”UNESCO is to take its final vote on the draft decision on Canada’s response at its next meetings starting at the end of the month.
New Delhi: As part of its relief operations in cyclone-hit Mozambique, the Indian Navy has rescued more than 192 people and provided assistance to 1,381 people in medical camps set up by it, a statement said.Cyclone Idai made landfall in East and Southern Africa around March 15 causing widespread destruction and loss of human lives in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Malawi.In response to a request from Mozambique, India immediately diverted three naval ships to the port city of Beira, a Ministry of External Affairs statement said. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USOver the last several days, the three ships, INS Sujata, ICGS Sarathi and INS Shardul, are undertaking Humanitarian Assistance Disaster Relief in coordination with local authorities and the High Commission of India, Maputo.”As of now, the Indian naval crew has rescued more than 192 people. Medical assistance has been provided to 1,381 persons in medical camps set up by the Indian Navy,” the statement said.India’s Chetak helicopter undertook several sorties to facilitate aerial survey by disaster management officials of Mozambique to rescue people in coordination with local authorities and for dropping food and water packets in the cyclone-affected areas.To sustain relief operations, another ship INS MAGAR, suitably loaded with relief materials is being sent to Mozambique, the MEA said.The Indian Navy was the first responder in the evolving humanitarian crises in the aftermath of Cyclone Idai. Assistance is also being sent to Zimbabwe and Malawi, two other countries hit by the cyclone, it said.