NewsRegional Grenada environment minister dismissed by: – January 21, 2012 Share Tweet Share 21 Views no discussions Sharing is caring! Share Joseph GilbertST GEORGE’S, Grenada — Grenada’s Prime Minister Tillman Thomas, whose National Democratic Congress won 11 of 15 seats in the last general election, has fired a second minister in fewer than four years in office.Informed sources said Joseph Gilbert, MP for St Patrick West, was told of his dismissal in a telephone call from the prime minister on Thursday morning. Gilbert, who was appointed Minister for the Environment, Foreign Trade and Export Development last October, was awaiting confirmation of his dismissal in an official letter from Governor General Sir Carlyle Glean.In 2010, Thomas dismissed his former Environment Minister Michael Church, MP for St John. Church subsequently resigned from cabinet after being offered a junior minister’s position by the prime minister.The wheels were put in motion for Gilbert’s dismissal when Thomas, who is also MP for St Patrick East, summoned an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday morning.A report out of St George’s quoted “an informed source close to the Office of the Prime Minister” as saying that Thomas told his cabinet colleagues that he had advised the governor general to revoke the appointment of Gilbert as a minister of government.But a Wednesday evening written statement issued by the prime minister’s press secretary, Richard Simon, seemed to dismiss the idea that Thomas had actually fired Gilbert earlier in the day.The statement said the Grenadian leader had “certain troubling information before him pertaining to what appears to be a serious breach of cabinet principles” involving Gilbert.“The prime minister anticipates that he would come to a decision on this matter very shortly, whereupon he will duly inform his cabinet and the general public,” the statement said.Thomas, in a brief nationally televised address on Thursday evening, confirmed the sacking of Gilbert. The prime ministers said he had “irrefutable, documented evidence” of misconduct on Gilbert’s part.He revealed that in August 2011, while serving as Minister of Works, Public Utilities and Physical Development, Gilbert wrote a letter giving certain assurances to a foreign company that was interested in establishing a casino in Grenada.Thomas said Gilbert did not seek cabinet’s approval in writing the letter, and accused the former minister of “irresponsible” behaviour.The Grenadian leader promised to continue combating wrongdoing, adding that what was at stake was not the survival of his government but the preservation of “core values” relating to good governance.However, the letter written by Gilbert and his firing are now being hotly debated by Grenadians, including legal experts. One veteran St George’s attorney, who read the so-called letter, said he was “bemused” at the fuss that was being made. “The letter has no binding effect, no legal consequences, on the government,” he said. “In my view, it is simply trying to keep the developer interested in Grenada and not bolting from the country at a time when jobs are so badly needed.”When contacted, Gilbert declined to comment on the specifics of the issue, only saying that “I did no wrong; I breached nothing; I committed the government to nothing. I did my utmost as a minister, first in the Ministry of Works, and then in the Ministry of Environment. A priority for me is meeting the needs of the Grenadian people, and they have told me that one of their most urgent needs is jobs.”Casino gambling, and possibly issuing a gaming licence, has been an ongoing debate in cabinet, and the matter is said to be still under review. Although Thomas has repeatedly stated his opposition to casino, cabinet has never taken a position on the matter.On call-in radio talkshows and among internet bloggers, people have been commenting on the latest developments. Many have expressed surprise at the prime minister’s response to Gilbert, comparing Thomas’ inaction to the move last year by Ministry of Finance officials who – without the knowledge and approval of cabinet – engaged representatives of Sewang One World in trying to get investment and development projects for Grenada.As part of the Sewang discussions, the prime minister signed a memorandum of understanding that Finance Minister Nazim Burke later admitted should not have been signed by the Grenadian leader. Caribbean News Now
Press Association “But David Moyes has a strong mentality. He is doing his own job. We have to use that in a positive way.” With the club’s board giving no sign of their belief being shaken in a man they handed a six-year contract to last summer, if the players do not shape up, it seems likely they will be the ones being ushered through the exit door. For some – Rafael’s fellow countryman Anderson and maybe even twin brother Fabio – it already appears too late. Others have work ahead of them. “We have spoken about it a lot,” said Rafael. “We have to show our quality. People are saying United don’t have a good squad. We have to prove it is not true.” United finally got their first victory of 2014 at Old Trafford on Saturday as second-half goals from Antonio Valencia and Danny Welbeck proved enough to overcome Swansea. Yet the three successive defeats that preceded that success condemned the Red Devils to an early exit from the FA Cup, gave them a first-leg deficit to overcome in a Capital One Cup semi-final tussle with Sunderland and left them with ground to make up just to claim a place in next season’s Champions League. Manchester United full-back Rafael has claimed it is time for the players to start taking responsibility for the club’s poor form. Manager David Moyes has taken most of the flak for United’s stunning fall from grace, the depth of which even the Scot has admitted caught him by surprise. Rafael thinks it is time the players took their fair share too. “I agree with that sentiment 100 per cent,” said the Brazilian. “We are the ones who have to take the responsibility. “I don’t know why everyone is looking at the manager. It is the players who have to do the job on the pitch.” Rafael makes no excuses in the massive upheaval created by Sir Alex Ferguson’s exit last summer, insisting there is enough quality at Old Trafford to smooth out any teething problems. “We knew there would be a change,” he said. “The manager had just left after 27 years and it was always going to be hard.
Seager underwent Tommy John surgery on his right elbow in May and arthroscopic surgery on his left hip in August. His rehab has featured no setbacks and the Dodgers are still optimistic that he will be ready to play at the start of the 2019 season.Meanwhile, Kenley Jansen has resumed training after undergoing heart surgery two weeks ago to address last year’s recurrence of atrial fibrillation. It was Jansen’s second such procedure in the past six years.“I saw him the other day. He looked great,” Friedman said. “He’s in a great frame of mind.”Friedman said Jansen is expected to report to spring training in two months with no restrictions on his activity. Dodgers hit seven home runs, sweep Colorado Rockies LAS VEGAS — Alex Verdugo is the Dodgers’ top-rated prospect, a big-league ready player with an attractive skill set.The same description applied to Corey Seager, Cody Bellinger and Walker Buehler over the past three years and each was brought to the majors and given a chance to establish themselves as big-leaguers. The results were two unanimous Rookie of the Year awards and a third-place finish.Verdugo, however, has spent most of the past two years at Triple-A, making only sporadic visits to the Dodgers’ lineup.Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman says all the right, nice things about the 22-year-old outfielder. He has excellent “bat-to-ball skills, a great feel for the game, good instincts and ability.” But he is just one of eight outfielders who started at least five games for the Dodgers last season, all of whom are still under contract (or club control) for 2019. Fire danger is on Dave Roberts’ mind as Dodgers head to San Francisco How Dodgers pitcher Ross Stripling topped the baseball podcast empire The Indians have made it clear upgrading their outfield is a winter priority and they are willing to deal either Kluber or Bauer to do it. Payroll relief would be a side benefit.Kluber would slide into the front of the Dodgers’ rotation, giving them a formidable trio featuring a three-time Cy Young Award winner (Clayton Kershaw), a two-time winner (Kluber) and a possible future candidate (Buehler).Kluber has finished in the top three in voting for the American League Cy Young award in four of the past five seasons, including this year when he finished third after going 20-7 with a 2.89 ERA, a 0.99 WHIP and 222 strikeouts in an AL-leading 215 innings.Although he will turn 33 in April, Kluber is a relative bargain at $17 million in 2019 with club options that would pay him $17.5 million in 2020 and $18 million in 2021 – or be bought out for $1 million either season if things don’t go well.Bauer, meanwhile, is a more risky acquisition. The 27-year-old right-hander from UCLA was outstanding in 2018. He made his first All-Star team and finished sixth in the AL Cy Young voting with a 12-6 record and career-bests in ERA (2.21), WHIP (1.09) and strikeouts (221 in 175-1/3 innings). But Bauer’s track record is not as established as Kluber’s and he has a well-earned reputation as an iconoclast.“He’s done everything he possibly can to show he’s more than ready for a lot of playing time at the major-league level,” Friedman said of Verdugo.HEALTH UPDATESShortstop Corey Seager has “switched gears from rehabbing to training,” Friedman said, and he has begun running and throwing programs as well as doing some hitting.Related Articles Dodgers’ Max Muncy trying to work his way out of slow start Cody Bellinger homer gives Dodgers their first walkoff win of season That surplus – and the nine-deep starting pitching depth chart – are not likely to survive until spring training.Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.“I’d be surprised if that were the case,” Friedman said, asserting that “they’re all talented enough where things will line up and make sense (in a trade), where it works out well for our team and an acquiring team.“If the return didn’t work for us, we wouldn’t (make a trade just to thin the group). But I can’t see that happening.”As the Winter Meetings opened Monday, Verdugo appears to be the most obvious piece around which the Dodgers are building a trade package that could land them either Marlins catcher J.T. Realmuto or one of the starting pitchers the Cleveland Indians appear intent on moving.A deal with the Indians appears more likely at this point. The Dodgers have been engaged in talks with the Indians regarding catcher Yan Gomes (who has been traded to the Washington Nationals) and now starting pitchers Corey Kluber and Trevor Bauer. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
conclusion: “Not grant so much. It is very clear what we have to work and is not grant.” occasions. ” Concessions: “All of us who are on the roster have the level to be here. We work well and we have to be more focused. There are players that take many minutes.”Chance for the second goal: “It was a shame in the play in which the goalkeeper threw himself on me. At home we will go out like lions.”Comeback: “We football players live for nights like this”. Denis Cheryshev I speak in Movistar Champions League after the defeat of Valencia in front of Atalanta in the first round of the Champions League. Four goals: “It has been a game with many occasions on both sides. We have conceded many occasions and have been able to score many goals. We have to learn a lesson for this hobby. This continues. Football always gives revenge a chance.”